Alverno College is proud to host a re-enactment of an All American Girls Professional Baseball League (AAGPBL) game on Sunday, August 11 at 12:30 p.m. The league, made famous in the movie A League of Their Own, emerged in the spring of 1943 in an effort to keep major league baseball stadiums in operation during World War II.
Three women who played in the league will be honored during the game. Jackie Mattson Baumgart, who played for the Springfield Sallies and Kenosha Comets, and Sr. Toni “Peanuts” Palermo, who played for the Chicago Colleens and the Springfield Sallies, are both Alverno alumnae. Joyce Hill Westerman, who played for the Fort Wayne Daisies, Grand Rapids Chicks, Peoria Redwings, Racine Belles and South Bend Blue Sox, will also be honored.
Warm-ups begin at noon, followed by the signing of the national anthem and the AAGPBL “Victory Song.” Kids will be able to run the bases during the seventh inning stretch, and peanuts, popcorn, water and lemonade will be available.
The Alverno softball field is located on 43rd Street just north of Morgan Avenue. Plenty of free parking is available. Admission is free, but donations will be accepted to help send the honorees to their reunion this fall. It is open to the public.
About Alverno College
Alverno College, a four-year independent, Catholic, liberal arts college for women, exists to promote the personal and professional development of its students. The college has earned accolades and respect internationally for its highly effective ability-based, assessment-as-learning approach to education, and has consulted with three U.S. presidential administrations on accountability and outcomes in higher education. For two years in a row, Alverno College was ranked first in the Midwest for doing “the best job of educating undergrads” by U.S. News & World Report. Educators from throughout the world visit Alverno to learn about its proven, student-centered teaching methods.
Alverno offers more than 35 major program areas of study, including graduate programs in education, nursing, community psychology and business that are open to women and men. For more information about Alverno, visit our website at www.alverno.edu or call 414-382-6100.
- MFHS Art at State Fair This Summer!
- Milwaukee Backgammon Club: May schedule
- Independent Business Association of Wisconsin (IBAW) to host “New Approaches to Sustainable Health Care Costs” at monthly breakfast meeting
- BloodCenter of Wisconsin, MCW and UWM to host Milwaukee Quick Pitch event
- Parenting Tip: Cleaning with Kids
- Charity car wash to raise money for Mental health
- Community leaders celebrate 40 years of MACC Fund
- Asanas for Support: Endurance Yoga Challenge Takes Aims at Lung Cancer
- Wauwatosa West students, teacher recognized for Stock Market Game Challenge
- Wauwatosa West High School Students Win National Financial Competition Again!