The Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW) has received a five year, $1.5 million grant from the National Institute of Health’s National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases to study the pathogenesis of Pseudomonas aeruginosa, a bacterium that is intrinsically resistant to antimicrobials, and that is difficult to treat.
Dara Frank, PhD, professor of microbiology and molecular genetics and director of MCW’s Center for Infectious Disease Research, is the primary investigator of the grant. Jimmy Feix, PhD, professor of biophysics, is a co-investigator.
Pseudomonas aeruginosa has been linked to burn victims, immunocompromised patients, and individuals with cystic fibrosis. Colonization of organs such as the lungs or spread of the bacteria to the bloodstream, can result in a fatal infection. Toxins expressed by the bacteria make it particularly pathogenic.
In this study, Dr. Frank will study a toxin expressed by Pseudomonas aeruginosa called ExoU, which is correlated with poor outcomes in human infection. By studying ExoU and the system in which it is expressed, new insights about the pathogenic nature of the bacteria will be discovered, with the ultimate goal being to provide unique targets and biological tools to limit that pathogenicity—and improve outcomes in human infections.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- What statement will people REALLY be making on Denim Day, April 23?
- CYP Waukesha Hosts “Conservative Media Night” Networking Event
- Upcoming Sunset Playhouse Musical MainStage Concert features Elm Grove Resident
- Support the Arts at Spring Westside Artwalk
- MCW’s Advancing a Healthier Wisconsin Endowment awards $158,000 to combat sex trafficking among youth
- St. Francis All Abilities Playground Craft/Vendor Fair
- Brookfield Ameriprise Advisors Achieve Status as NABCAP Premier Advisors
- COMEDY, COMEDY, AND MO’ COMEDY!
- Learn about Compost on Earth Day at Brew City Gardens
- Free Drum Clinic with The Common Thread Clinic Tour, Tuesday, April 22