On Mon., July 22 from 5 to 9 p.m., Respect Our Waters will be at West Allis’ National Night Out at 6501 W. National Ave. to give away pet waste bags, host a drawing for a rain barrel and educate residents on individual actions they can take to help improve area rivers and Lake Michigan. The group will also answer questions, provide information and give away Sparkles the Water Spaniel buttons.
“Everyone plays an important role in keeping our rivers and lakes clean and healthy. There are a number of simple and easy actions that help our waterways,” says Jeff Martinka, co-chair of Respect Our Waters and executive director of Sweet Water.
According to Martinka, residents should:
-Pick up pet waste.
-Leave grass clippings on the lawn.
-Use lawn fertilizer and chemicals sparingly. In fact, he recommends testing the soil to make sure the yard really needs the extra nutrients before applying fertilizer.
-Inspect vehicles to make sure they’re not leaking oil or other fluids.
-Plant a rain garden and trees.
-Direct downspouts into rain barrels, the yard or garden instead of the sewer or driveway.
-Use a carwash or wash cars on the lawn.
“What many residents don’t realize is that anything that washes into storm sewers goes directly into our rivers and Lake Michigan,” explains Martinka. “That means, whenever it rains, dog poop, lawn fertilizer, car fluids and any other debris on sidewalks, streets and parking lots gets deposited into our waterways.”
For more information, visit RespectOurWaters.org, SwwtWater.org or RootPikeWIN.org.
- Color Craze at the Wauwatosa Library
- Performer Steve Girman at the Wauwatosa Public Library
- Marquette student from Menomonee Falls "Plays it forward" in support of Youth Sports Camp
- Taiwan Excellence Comes to Summerfest
- Froedtert & the Medical College of Wisconsin and Easter Seals Southeast Wisconsin Celebrate Project SEARCH Completion Ceremony for Adults With Disabilities
- Electricity Program at Wauwatosa Library
- Bessie Turns 100!
- Community service project provides speakers to groups and clubs
- Appliance Gallery Offers Decorating Tips to Compliment Appliances
- Pro Skateboarder to visit Tosa Skatepark