Organization has provided over $4.3 million in support of MCW programs
The Medical College of Wisconsin received a grant of $110,000 from Research to Prevent Blindness (RPB) to support research into the causes, treatment, and prevention of blinding diseases. The research will be directed by Dale K. Heuer, MD, professor and chairman of the department of ophthalmology.
Nearly one million people in the United States have been blinded by disease. The four diseases that most commonly cause blindness are cataracts, glaucoma, macular degeneration and diabetic retinopathy. This award will allow Eye Institute researchers to study the mechanisms of eye disease and investigate methods of prevention and treatment.
“We are grateful to RPB for their continued support of research here at the Eye Institute and applaud their contributions nationally to the growth and development of other eye centers across the country. Their investment in vision research is truly an investment in the vitality of our aging nation,” said Dr. Heuer.
RPB is the world’s leading voluntary organization supporting eye research. To date, RPB has awarded grants totaling more than $4.3 million to MCW.
Since it was founded in 1960, RPB has channeled hundreds of millions of dollars to medical institutions throughout the United States for research into all blinding eye diseases. For information on RPB, RPB-funded research, eye disorders and the RPB Grants Program, go to www.rpbusa.com.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- FREE Elmbrook Memorial "Walk With A Wheaton Doc" – Saturday, April 26, 2014
- Children's Audition Notice for Milwaukee Rep's 2014/15 production THE COLOR PURPLE
- Stuff the Truck for Independence
- Spring Concert "Stars" featuring Julia Simpson
- Cudahy Home to be on Milwaukee/NARI Tour of Remodeled Homes
- Three Wauwatosa Homes to be Part of Annual Milwaukee/NARI Tour of Remodeled Homes
- United for Libraries to present Public Service Award to Congressman Jim Sensenbrenner (R-Wis.)
- MCW to Host Diabetes Symposium
- What statement will people REALLY be making on Denim Day, April 23?
- CYP Waukesha Hosts “Conservative Media Night” Networking Event