The Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW) has received a five year, $670,000 grant from the National Institute of Health’s National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases to study the immune response believed responsible for the link between respiratory viral infections and the development of asthma.
Dorothy Cheung, MD is the principal investigator of the grant. Dr. Cheung is an assistant professor of pediatrics and medicine within the section of allergy and immunology at the Medical College of Wisconsin. She is also an investigator at the Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin Research Institute, and sees adult and pediatric patients at Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin.
Asthma continues to be a major health concern worldwide. According to the Centers for Disease Control, nearly 19 million adults and seven million children have asthma in the United States alone. Respiratory viral infections have been associated with the development of asthma as well as exacerbation of asthmatic symptoms. The immune response to viral infections may explain the mechanism for these associations.
In this project, Dr. Cheung will study the role of neutrophils, the most abundant white blood cells in the body, in the development of respiratory virus induced asthma. The studies conducted will help pave the way for new treatment approaches to respiratory viral infections that may prevent the development and/or exacerbation of asthma.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Milwaukee Backgammon Club: December schedule
- Appliance Gallery Suggests Holiday Appliance Ideas
- Tosa West Orchestra Kindekonzert Sat. Dec. 5th
- Allume Architects celebrates move to Elm Grove with ribbon-cutting and open house
- Lutheran A Cappella Choir Christmas Concert
- Acacia Ushers in Christmas with Wauwatosa Actor in Humorous “Fish Eyes”
- “Shop Savvy” on Cyber Monday - and Every Day
- MCW, Dr. Doug Evans and Elizabeth Krzywda, win BizTimes 2015 Health Care Hero Awards
- ‘Black Friday’ Vehicle Purchase at Russ Darrow Includes Packer Player Collector Canvas
- Christmas at the Horse