The Medical College of Wisconsin has received a four year, $1.5 million grant from the National Institutes of Health’s National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute to study a protein associated with thrombosis, or blood clots. Thrombosis is the leading cause of morbidity and mortality in the United States.
Roy L. Silverstein, MD, the Linda and John Mellowes Professor and Chairman of the Department of Medicine at the Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW), is the primary investigator of the grant.
Thrombosis is reported in two million patients every year in the United States, but physicians believe the diagnosis is hugely underreported. Causes include prolonged immobility, trauma, and a genetic predisposition to clotting; also smoking, pregnancy, and cancer are related to the development of blood clots.
Blood abnormalities that affect the platelets and cause clotting are generated in some chronic inflammatory diseases such as diabetes and atherosclerosis. In this project, Dr. Silverstein will identify and characterize the mechanisms by which this occurs, specifically focusing on a protein called CD36.
Identifying the way platelets respond to inflammatory mediators could lead to new therapeutic interventions to prevent thrombosis.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Adolescent patients needed for study on pain
- Care and quality of life for older, rural HIV-positive adults
- HGTV’s House Hunters Returns to Southeastern Wisconsin to Feature Flat Rate Home Services’ Employee
- International Expert Dr. Michele Borba to Speak at Alverno College Character Education Conference
- Stars and Stripes Honor Flight-The Final Thank You
- Meijer Announces Opening Dates for First Wisconsin Supercenters
- Comprehensive Eye Exams Can Help Re-engage Patients Into Care for Certain Chronic Conditions, With the Potential to Help Improve Health and Reduce Costs
- Tosa East Junior Achieves Eagle Scout Award
- G.A.P.C. Hosts Annual Strawberry Fest June 14th
- Milwaukee to Host 2015 USA Ultimate Division 1 College Championships, May 22-25 at Uihlein Park