Students from Honey Creek Elementary School in Milwaukee took their science class on the road to the Medical College of Wisconsin this week for hands-on experience with some of the highest tech tools on campus.
About 75 fourth and fifth grade students visited the Biotechnology and Bioengineering Center (BBC) and the Human and Molecular Genetics Center to learn more about DNA sequencing and mass spectrometry. The visit was coordinated with Tim Sobotka, education and outreach program manager in the BBC.
In November, Duska Sidjanin, PhD, associate professor of cell biology, neurobiology and anatomy; and Diane Munzenmaier, PhD, assistant professor of physiology, presented an interactive program in the students’ classrooms. This week’s visit to MCW allowed students to do more hand-on activities and tour the campus facilities.
Graduate students, medical students, and postdoctoral fellows facilitated the tours, which included a DNA extraction lab, a protein chromatography lab and a tour of the DNA sequencing and mass spectrometry cores.
“We need to engage young students in ways that will capture, inspire, and stimulate their imaginations. With a great generational and technological transition on the horizon, our students must be prepared to ensure new discoveries and technological developments that will contribute to scientific advances for our future,” said Sobotka.
The BBC is also partnering with the Kettle Moraine School District and the Oconomowoc Area School District on the development of a charter school focused on preparing students for health care careers.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- MCW scientist to study novel regulatory mechanisms for a gene involved in vascular anomalies
- How to Make Sure Your Child Succeeds in School this Year (1)
- MCW-Green Bay receives $250,000 Impact Grant from the Green Bay Packers Foundation
- New Dr. Nicole Knapp, D.C. blog post – Pregnancy and Chiropractic
- C.A.R.I.N.G. Group Elmbrook Maintains Summer Momentum, Donating More Than $500 to Schools
- "In Your Eyes: The Animal/Human Connection"
- Enroll Now For Free Welding Training
- Dental Exam Often Overlooked as Part of Prenatal Care
- Polonia's Annual Festival
- Callen Construction Suggests Kitchen Upgrades for Easier Cooking and Cleaning