Students from Honey Creek Elementary School in Milwaukee took their science class on the road to the Medical College of Wisconsin this week for hands-on experience with some of the highest tech tools on campus.
About 75 fourth and fifth grade students visited the Biotechnology and Bioengineering Center (BBC) and the Human and Molecular Genetics Center to learn more about DNA sequencing and mass spectrometry. The visit was coordinated with Tim Sobotka, education and outreach program manager in the BBC.
In November, Duska Sidjanin, PhD, associate professor of cell biology, neurobiology and anatomy; and Diane Munzenmaier, PhD, assistant professor of physiology, presented an interactive program in the students’ classrooms. This week’s visit to MCW allowed students to do more hand-on activities and tour the campus facilities.
Graduate students, medical students, and postdoctoral fellows facilitated the tours, which included a DNA extraction lab, a protein chromatography lab and a tour of the DNA sequencing and mass spectrometry cores.
“We need to engage young students in ways that will capture, inspire, and stimulate their imaginations. With a great generational and technological transition on the horizon, our students must be prepared to ensure new discoveries and technological developments that will contribute to scientific advances for our future,” said Sobotka.
The BBC is also partnering with the Kettle Moraine School District and the Oconomowoc Area School District on the development of a charter school focused on preparing students for health care careers.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Hear About One of Area’s Newest Museums
- BBB Warns Service Members of common scams during Military Saves Week
- Got a Thin Mint craving? Our Girl Scout cookie drive-thrus in Milwaukee and Menomonee Falls make it easy to stock up on all your favorites!
- The Oconomowoc Lake Club Appoints New Sous Chef
- Milwaukee/NARI Offers March 11 Panel Discussion on “Expect The Unexpected…Completing A Home Improvement Project”
- Prometheus Trio To Open Free Concert Series
- A Retirement Income Planning Primer
- Columbia St. Mary's Gateway Medical Clinic Unveils New CT Scanner
- MCW seeks participants for kidney research
- Artist and Display's Final Art Class