James Sanders, MD, MPH, associate professor of family and community medicine at the Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW), has received a Fulbright Grant to travel and work in Zambia for one year beginning in August, 2013.
Dr. Sanders is the liaison in the department of family medicine for medical students interested in careers in global health. He also directs the Columbia St. Mary’s Family Medicine Residency’s International Health Track. He has worked with Doctors Without Borders at refugee clinics across the globe, and has also provided healthcare at health service sites within African-American communities in Wisconsin, and in Native American and Spanish-speaking communities in Minnesota. Dr. Sanders was also a member of the Governor’s Public Health Council.
The Fulbright Grant will allow Dr. Sanders to assist the University of Zambia’s School of Medicine with its efforts to initiate the country’s first family medicine training program.
“Most of the doctors in Zambia lack specific training in caring for vulnerable populations such as pregnant women, adolescents, children or babies. By assisting with the development of family medicine, the entire Zambian health system will be improved and strengthened,” said Dr. Sanders.
The Fulbright Scholarship program is a competitive award for academic researchers and teachers administered through the U.S. State Department.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa ESPRIT POMS (Seniors) and ESPRIT POMS (Juniors) Earn First Place and Second Places Honors at Badger State Pom Competition in Madison, WI
- FREE Parent/Child YOGA at Authentic Birth Center • Wellness Collective
- Science Students Learn with Depth and Complexity
- St. Matthew's Lutheran Church to Present Christmas Concert
- Milwaukee/NARI Members Explain How Technology in Faucets and Showerheads Expand Consumer Options
- Encourage your kids to become involved in extracurriculars
- Edward Zapencki Continued to Collect Money From Businesses for Fun Maps He Didn’t Deliver
- WAUMC children, youth to share 'The Case of the Reluctant Innkeeper'
- Wauwatosa Distinguished Citizen 2013 – Nominations Being Accepted
- Dean Antczak Joins LifeWise Ingredients