James Sanders, MD, MPH, associate professor of family and community medicine at the Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW), has received a Fulbright Grant to travel and work in Zambia for one year beginning in August, 2013.
Dr. Sanders is the liaison in the department of family medicine for medical students interested in careers in global health. He also directs the Columbia St. Mary’s Family Medicine Residency’s International Health Track. He has worked with Doctors Without Borders at refugee clinics across the globe, and has also provided healthcare at health service sites within African-American communities in Wisconsin, and in Native American and Spanish-speaking communities in Minnesota. Dr. Sanders was also a member of the Governor’s Public Health Council.
The Fulbright Grant will allow Dr. Sanders to assist the University of Zambia’s School of Medicine with its efforts to initiate the country’s first family medicine training program.
“Most of the doctors in Zambia lack specific training in caring for vulnerable populations such as pregnant women, adolescents, children or babies. By assisting with the development of family medicine, the entire Zambian health system will be improved and strengthened,” said Dr. Sanders.
The Fulbright Scholarship program is a competitive award for academic researchers and teachers administered through the U.S. State Department.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Blarney Run/Walk returns to Hoyt Park March 14
- Science Café series to be held at Milwaukee Public Library
- Local Residents Participate in THE NERD at Sunset Playhouse
- Hoopla at the Library
- Hear About One of Area’s Newest Museums
- BBB Warns Service Members of common scams during Military Saves Week
- Got a Thin Mint craving? Our Girl Scout cookie drive-thrus in Milwaukee and Menomonee Falls make it easy to stock up on all your favorites!
- The Oconomowoc Lake Club Appoints New Sous Chef
- Milwaukee/NARI Offers March 11 Panel Discussion on “Expect The Unexpected…Completing A Home Improvement Project”
- Prometheus Trio To Open Free Concert Series