James Sanders, MD, MPH, associate professor of family and community medicine at the Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW), has received a Fulbright Grant to travel and work in Zambia for one year beginning in August, 2013.
Dr. Sanders is the liaison in the department of family medicine for medical students interested in careers in global health. He also directs the Columbia St. Mary’s Family Medicine Residency’s International Health Track. He has worked with Doctors Without Borders at refugee clinics across the globe, and has also provided healthcare at health service sites within African-American communities in Wisconsin, and in Native American and Spanish-speaking communities in Minnesota. Dr. Sanders was also a member of the Governor’s Public Health Council.
The Fulbright Grant will allow Dr. Sanders to assist the University of Zambia’s School of Medicine with its efforts to initiate the country’s first family medicine training program.
“Most of the doctors in Zambia lack specific training in caring for vulnerable populations such as pregnant women, adolescents, children or babies. By assisting with the development of family medicine, the entire Zambian health system will be improved and strengthened,” said Dr. Sanders.
The Fulbright Scholarship program is a competitive award for academic researchers and teachers administered through the U.S. State Department.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Summer School Program Comes Home to the Milwaukee Irish Fest Center
- Greater Brookfield Chamber of Commerce presents “Violence in the Workplace” workshop
- Ten Wisconsin High School Seniors Win BBB Foundation’s “Student of Integrity” Scholarship
- Early Registration for Walk, Run, Wag for MADACC Ends May 1
- Milwaukee/NARI Remodeling Professionals Recognized on National Level
- MCW researcher to investigate diabetic heart susceptibility to cardiac sensitivity
- Go Green, Gold and Pink for Breast Cancer Awareness
- Milwaukee/NARI Says April Showers Don’t Have to Bring Foundation Leaks
- Parade Applications Now Available
- Greater Brookfield Chamber of Commerce presents former Navy SEAL, Jeff Boss, leadership coach specializing in adaptability