William B. Campbell, PhD, professor and chairman of pharmacology and toxicology at the Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW), is the 2013 recipient of the Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) Foundation Award in Excellence in Pharmacology/Toxicology. The award honors scientists whose Foundation grant helped launch exemplary careers in academia, industry, and government.
“The PMA Award provided funding at a critical time when I was just starting out as an assistant professor. It provided data for an independent research article as well as key data for my first NIH grant and an NIH Research Career Development Award. I have been continuously funded by NIH ever since, 34 years and counting,” said Dr. Campbell.
Dr. Campbell earned a bachelor of science degree in pharmacy from the University of Texas at Austin in 1970, and in 1974 completed his PhD in pharmacology at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center. He did post-doctoral training at MCW from 1974 until 1976. He subsequently joined the faculty of the University of Texas Southwestern Medical School. He received a PhRMA Foundation Research Starter Grant in 1976-78. In 1992, he returned to MCW as chair of the department of pharmacology and toxicology.
Dr. Campbell is a prolific and respected researcher who has authored more than 300 peer-reviewed journal articles. He has edited multiple journals, and has served as a reviewer for nearly two-dozen publications. His research has been supported by grants from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute; National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases; and National Institute on Drug Abuse.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Blaze Fast-Fire’d Pizza Celebrates “Pi Day” with $3.14 Pizzas on Friday, March 14
- Wauwatosa Recreation and Summer School New Registration Procedures
- Milwaukee Montessori School Welcomes Catherine Brys as Director of Child Care Program
- BELLWETHER’S PRIVATE LOAN FUNDING
- Holiday Food Drive For Hunger Task Force to be Featured in St. Patrick’s Day Parades
- CigarMKE SPRING FLING EVENT - FEBRUARY 21ST
- Free Sound Reinforcement & Live Sound Classes
- Historian John Gurda To Speak at Elm Grove Playhouse
- Announcing the Wauwatosa Distinguished Citizen for 2013: Maureen Connors Badding
- McKinley Lodge Fish Fry