On a trip recently to Colorado, an article addressing coyotes came to my attention in a local paper. Because our city shares the same fact of life as coyotes, I felt sharing the co-existing tips mentioned, would be helpful for us.
Do not feed coyotes, even unintentionally! It can make them less afraid of humans and potentially more dangerous. Never leave pet food or water outside as it can attract coyotes. Garbage should be placed in your secure, tightly-sealed garbage container.
Take measures to protect your pets. Always supervise your pets outdoors, especially at dusk and dawn. Keep pets inside over night if possible. Walk pets on short leash and never let them interact with wildlife. Pick up small dogs when coyotes are nearby. If a coyote is too close or approaches you, scare or haze it away.
Educate your children about the presence of urban wildlife and teach them to NEVER approach wild animals or domestic animals they do not know. Any incidents with coyotes should be reported to: (I didn't research who should be contacted in Wauwatosa) ... but, having friends living near the parkways, I believe this article on coyotes/raccoons and other wildlife wandering around this summer should be addressed. Thank you. Gretchen Werra
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- LearningRx Tips for a Successful Parent-Teacher Conference
- Milwaukee/NARI Members Advise That Details Make the Difference in Interior Design
- Zymbiotics a New Local Company Making Fine Fermented Foods is Now Available at Outpost Coop & Metcalfe's Market
- Hart Park Square Art Guild
- Inspired by Love of Their Country, Local Contractor Gifts Veteran Family New Furnace to Help Them through Harsh Winter
- Lenten Concert & Fish Fry
- Diabetes and oral health in Milwaukee’s Mexican-American community
- Retzer Nature Center’s Annual Spring Sale Plant Pre-Orders due March 6th
- Connor Remodeling & Design Wins Three WRA Golds for Second Consecutive Year
- VFW Fundraiser in New Berlin