On a trip recently to Colorado, an article addressing coyotes came to my attention in a local paper. Because our city shares the same fact of life as coyotes, I felt sharing the co-existing tips mentioned, would be helpful for us.
Do not feed coyotes, even unintentionally! It can make them less afraid of humans and potentially more dangerous. Never leave pet food or water outside as it can attract coyotes. Garbage should be placed in your secure, tightly-sealed garbage container.
Take measures to protect your pets. Always supervise your pets outdoors, especially at dusk and dawn. Keep pets inside over night if possible. Walk pets on short leash and never let them interact with wildlife. Pick up small dogs when coyotes are nearby. If a coyote is too close or approaches you, scare or haze it away.
Educate your children about the presence of urban wildlife and teach them to NEVER approach wild animals or domestic animals they do not know. Any incidents with coyotes should be reported to: (I didn't research who should be contacted in Wauwatosa) ... but, having friends living near the parkways, I believe this article on coyotes/raccoons and other wildlife wandering around this summer should be addressed. Thank you. Gretchen Werra
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Abby Thompson will appear in Milwaukee Rep Theater's production of A Christmas Carol
- St. Margaret Mary School to Donate 13,200 Pounds of Food
- Richard Kohlmann Named Beverage Manager at Western Racquet Club
- Area Students Perform in Miracle on 34th Street at Sunset Playhouse December 4th through December 31st
- Acclaimed actor Michael York to keynote amyloidosis event
- YOUNG WAUWATOSA RESIDENT APPEARS IN FIRST STAGE'S RUDOLPH THE RED-NOSED REINDEER
- Shop Small on Small Business Saturday
- Milwaukee/NARI Home Improvement Council Honors Barry Mandel With the “Building Milwaukee” Award
- Local Businesses Collect, Deliver More than 4,000 Pounds of Food to New Berlin Food Pantry
- TOP 10 THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW WHEN BUYING A HOME