On a trip recently to Colorado, an article addressing coyotes came to my attention in a local paper. Because our city shares the same fact of life as coyotes, I felt sharing the co-existing tips mentioned, would be helpful for us.
Do not feed coyotes, even unintentionally! It can make them less afraid of humans and potentially more dangerous. Never leave pet food or water outside as it can attract coyotes. Garbage should be placed in your secure, tightly-sealed garbage container.
Take measures to protect your pets. Always supervise your pets outdoors, especially at dusk and dawn. Keep pets inside over night if possible. Walk pets on short leash and never let them interact with wildlife. Pick up small dogs when coyotes are nearby. If a coyote is too close or approaches you, scare or haze it away.
Educate your children about the presence of urban wildlife and teach them to NEVER approach wild animals or domestic animals they do not know. Any incidents with coyotes should be reported to: (I didn't research who should be contacted in Wauwatosa) ... but, having friends living near the parkways, I believe this article on coyotes/raccoons and other wildlife wandering around this summer should be addressed. Thank you. Gretchen Werra
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- WAUMC children, youth to share 'The Case of the Reluctant Innkeeper'
- Wauwatosa Distinguished Citizen 2013 – Nominations Being Accepted
- Dean Antczak Joins LifeWise Ingredients
- Master Singers Bring the Joy of the Season
- Accelerated Sports Medicine and "Toys for Tots" Holiday Open House
- 2014 Milwaukee/NARI Home Improvement Show Scheduled
- Callen Construction Announces 6th Annual “Refashion for Life” Proceeds
- Jason Kofroth Announces Candidacy for Wauwatosa's 7th District Aldermanic Seat
- Don’t Get A Holiday Dish Served Cold – Hire The Right Catering Service
- Christopher Noble, of Wauwatosa, Joins R.A. Smith National as Controller