The 9th Annual Block Melanoma 5K Run and 3K Walk, organized by Ann’s Hope Foundation, will be held Sunday, May 19, at the Milwaukee County Zoo. Proceeds benefit melanoma research.
This year, more than 75,000 people will be diagnosed with melanoma, a type of skin cancer. It is responsible for nearly 10,000 deaths every year. Ann’s Hope Foundation has been raising awareness and funding for melanoma research since 2005. Its founders, Anne Frentzel and Ann Harrington, both lost family members to the disease.
Registration for all events begins at 6:45 a.m. A special “Team Cathy Kids' Fun Run,” for children nine and under, begins at 8:15 a.m. The 5K run, which begins at 8 a.m., is chip-timed. Medals will be given to the top three male and female finishers in multiple age categories. The 3K Walk starts at 9:00 a.m.
A Kid Corral for children ages 3 to 9 will also be open in the Peck Pavilion starting at 7:00 a.m.
Online registration for the event is open and can be accessed through www.annshope.org. The cost to register is $30 for adults ($35 the day of the event) or $22 ($27 the day of the event) for youth 17 and younger. This fee includes zoo admission and parking for the day, food and refreshments at a post-party, a bag of sunscreen and other items, and educational literature about melanoma and sun safety. The first 2,000 registrants will receive a special long-sleeve SPF commemorative T-shirt.
To date, Ann’s Hope has donated more than $200,000 for melanoma research at the Medical College of Wisconsin Cancer Center.
- Milwaukee Backgammon Club to hold 3 tournaments in August!
- 4th Annual Cruisin’ the Grove Scheduled for Aug. 7
- MCW awarded $1.9 million to investigate disease prevention utilizing slime mold
- Dublin the Fun Partner Promotions Make Milwaukee Irish Fest Even More Affordable
- September Fashion Show in Washington County
- Back to School...BBB Reminds You to Shop Smart!
- New Brookfield Nutrition Office Open August 1
- Back To School....BBB Reminds You To Shop Smart!
- Meijer to Sponsor Six Flags Great America Back-2-School Blast
- McKinley Lodge hosts "World Famous Fish Fry"