The 9th Annual Block Melanoma 5K Run and 3K Walk, organized by Ann’s Hope Foundation, will be held Sunday, May 19, at the Milwaukee County Zoo. Proceeds benefit melanoma research.
This year, more than 75,000 people will be diagnosed with melanoma, a type of skin cancer. It is responsible for nearly 10,000 deaths every year. Ann’s Hope Foundation has been raising awareness and funding for melanoma research since 2005. Its founders, Anne Frentzel and Ann Harrington, both lost family members to the disease.
Registration for all events begins at 6:45 a.m. A special “Team Cathy Kids' Fun Run,” for children nine and under, begins at 8:15 a.m. The 5K run, which begins at 8 a.m., is chip-timed. Medals will be given to the top three male and female finishers in multiple age categories. The 3K Walk starts at 9:00 a.m.
A Kid Corral for children ages 3 to 9 will also be open in the Peck Pavilion starting at 7:00 a.m.
Online registration for the event is open and can be accessed through www.annshope.org. The cost to register is $30 for adults ($35 the day of the event) or $22 ($27 the day of the event) for youth 17 and younger. This fee includes zoo admission and parking for the day, food and refreshments at a post-party, a bag of sunscreen and other items, and educational literature about melanoma and sun safety. The first 2,000 registrants will receive a special long-sleeve SPF commemorative T-shirt.
To date, Ann’s Hope has donated more than $200,000 for melanoma research at the Medical College of Wisconsin Cancer Center.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- BBB to Hold Free Fall Shredding Events
- Travel Around the World at the 71st Annual Holiday Folk Fair International
- Milwaukee/NARI’s Tips for Easier Fall Lawn & Garden Maintenance
- Attendance at Seventh Annual Multi-Chamber Networking Event Tops Two Hundred Fifty Members
- Meet Your New Employer at the Workforce Development Center's Autumn Recruitment Fair
- Fall Open House at Heritage Court in Menomonee Falls
- St. Robert School Annual Rummage Sale October 3 and 4
- Bartelt Wins Two MBA Achievement Awards
- HMGC designated to run Undiagnosed Disease Network sequencing center
- New parking lot kicks off $1 million in WAUMC capital improvements