West Allis/West Milwaukee Chambers, School District , MATC and Manufacturers Hold Events to Encourage Young People to Enter Manufacturing Careers
The West Allis West/Milwaukee Chamber of Commerce and West Allis-West Milwaukee School District, local manufacturers and Milwaukee Area Technical College are joining forces to raise the awareness of middle and high school students, their parents, job seekers and the community about careers and opportunities in manufacturing. Dubbed the “Heavy Metal Tour,” the free, public event will be held from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, April 27, at the Energy Conservation and Advanced Manufacturing (ECAM) Center at MATC’s Oak Creek Campus, 6665 S. Howell Ave.
Participants will tour ECAM, talk with manufacturers, and experience working with computerized equipment and robotics. They will learn about the growing number of career options in the manufacturing sector as well as training opportunities for those jobs. Among the participating companies are Iverson & Co.; Harley-Davidson; Allis-Roller, LLC; Quad Graphics; Senior Flexonics GA Precision; Busch Precision, Inc.; CHR Hansen; Walter Tools; and Manitowoc Cranes.
There will be a drawing for scholarships to use toward a technical education at MATC. Free t-shirts will be given to the first 200 registrants for the scholarship drawing.
On April 30, participants will also tour a variety of companies, including Cooper Power Systems; Joy Global, Inc.; Harley-Davidson; Monarch Corporation; Allis Tool & Machine Corporation; Allis-Roller, LLC; and Quad Graphics.
ECAM is a $9 million, 34,000-square-foot facility which is home to many educational and
training opportunities. Opened in late 2007, ECAM hosts learning laboratories in advanced manufacturing, manufacturing welding, advanced software, energy solutions, HVAC digital controls and HVAC computers.
For more information, call the West Allis/West Milwaukee Chamber of Commerce at (414) 302-9901 or visit www.wawmchamber.com.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- MFHS Student Art on Display at District Business Office
- "WEIRD ANIMALS" Come to Vacation Bible School
- Milwaukee/NARI Shares Tips For Outdoor Living Spaces
- Kathy's House Classic Golf Outing Planned
- Friends of Hart Park to Host Family Film Night
- Researchers to explore new treatments for pancreatic cancer
- Milwaukee’s Archbishop Conducts Mass at Harwood Place
- Milwaukee/NARI Offers Seven Tips for Spending Wisely on a Home Remodel - Part 2
- Milwaukee/NARI Offers Seven Tips for Spending Wisely on a Home Remodel - Part 1
- Boatshed Lake Michigan Sponsors SUPA athletes support boat to cross Lake Michigan