The Human and Molecular Genetics Center (HMGC) at the Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW) and Friends for Research will hold the fifth annual golf fundraiser at the Legend at Brandybrook in Pewaukee on Monday, May 20.
The fundraiser is in honor of the Brayman brothers, Jack and Todd, who are both participants in the whole genome sequencing program at the HMGC. Jack and Todd are both affected by a rare pediatric neurotransmitter disorder. While some pediatric neurotransmitter disorders can be treated, others remain a mystery, and there are no known treatments.
Genetics specialists at MCW and Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin recommended whole genome sequencing to search for the cause of the boys’ disease. Whole genome sequencing is basically a way to decode the language of life. From a blood sample, every sequence of DNA is determined and recorded. From that human blueprint, scientists begin the painstaking process of poring through the data, looking at variants, or differences, in the DNA from the “reference” DNA.
The golf outing will raise awareness and funds for whole genome sequencing research at the HMGC. For $175, participants will have lunch, play 18 holes of golf, enjoy happy hour after the round, and stay for a buffet dinner and evening event. For non-golfers, sponsorship opportunities and evening event-only packages are also available.
Last year’s outing helped make the HMGC and MCW the first institution in the world to offer a full-interpreted, clinically diagnostic whole genome sequencing test.
To register, visit https://events.hmgc.mcw.edu.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Winter Used Book Sale at Library
- Milwaukee/NARI’s Tips For Last-Minute Home Winterization
- Christmas Holly Fair
- Free Jumping at Sky Zone with Food Donation
- Researcher to investigate effective health information technology implementation
- Alverno College Awarded College Ready Grant from Great Lakes Higher Education Guaranty Corporation
- BBB Balances 2014 Trends with Tips for Smart Holiday Shoppers
- 125 Volunteers Needed at Special Olympics Wisconsin State Bowling and Volleyball Tourney
- Holiday Folk Fair International Offers Ticket Discounts to Support Salvation Army
- MCW researchers to investigate biological factors of post-traumatic stress disorder