The Human and Molecular Genetics Center (HMGC) at the Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW) and Friends for Research will hold the fifth annual golf fundraiser at the Legend at Brandybrook in Pewaukee on Monday, May 20.
The fundraiser is in honor of the Brayman brothers, Jack and Todd, who are both participants in the whole genome sequencing program at the HMGC. Jack and Todd are both affected by a rare pediatric neurotransmitter disorder. While some pediatric neurotransmitter disorders can be treated, others remain a mystery, and there are no known treatments.
Genetics specialists at MCW and Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin recommended whole genome sequencing to search for the cause of the boys’ disease. Whole genome sequencing is basically a way to decode the language of life. From a blood sample, every sequence of DNA is determined and recorded. From that human blueprint, scientists begin the painstaking process of poring through the data, looking at variants, or differences, in the DNA from the “reference” DNA.
The golf outing will raise awareness and funds for whole genome sequencing research at the HMGC. For $175, participants will have lunch, play 18 holes of golf, enjoy happy hour after the round, and stay for a buffet dinner and evening event. For non-golfers, sponsorship opportunities and evening event-only packages are also available.
Last year’s outing helped make the HMGC and MCW the first institution in the world to offer a full-interpreted, clinically diagnostic whole genome sequencing test.
To register, visit https://events.hmgc.mcw.edu.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Dean Antczak Joins LifeWise Ingredients
- Master Singers Bring the Joy of the Season
- Accelerated Sports Medicine and "Toys for Tots" Holiday Open House
- 2014 Milwaukee/NARI Home Improvement Show Scheduled
- Callen Construction Announces 6th Annual “Refashion for Life” Proceeds
- Jason Kofroth Announces Candidacy for Wauwatosa's 7th District Aldermanic Seat
- Don’t Get A Holiday Dish Served Cold – Hire The Right Catering Service
- Christopher Noble, of Wauwatosa, Joins R.A. Smith National as Controller
- Dr. Matthew Hunsaker Named Campus Dean for Medical College of Wisconsin–Green Bay
- Milwaukee Citywide Food Drive is a Huge Success