Donna K. Arnett, Ph.D., M.S.P.H., president of the American Heart Association, will present cardiology grand rounds at the Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW) Wednesday, April 17, at 8:00 A.M. Dr. Arnett will discuss genomic and environmental factors in hypertension (high blood pressure) and left ventricular hypertrophy, a heart condition often triggered by uncontrolled blood pressure.
Dr. Arnett, also professor and chair of the department of epidemiology at the University of Alabama – Birmingham, is a cardiovascular genetic epidemiologist whose research focuses on family-based studies. A prime focus of her work has been to identify genetic and genomic determinants of drug response. Another major focus of Dr. Arnett’s work is gene discovery; one study aimed to identify genes contributing to cardiovascular traits in left ventricular hypertrophy.
A research team at MCW headed by Dr. Ulrich Broeckel, professor of pediatrics (genetics), has worked extensively on the HyperGEN project, a multi-institutional study focusing on the genetics of hypertension.
“Dr. Arnett is a leader in the field of family –based longitudinal studies and collaborative research, and our team is looking forward to this discussion,” said Dr. Broeckel.
Dr. Arnett’s presentation will be held in the Alumni Center at MCW, 8701 W. Watertown Plank Road, and is open to the public.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- National Farmer's Market Week!!!
- C.H. Coakley Successfully Moves Another Milwaukee Company
- Foti Chiropractic Sending Make-A-Wish Recipient to Disney World
- Storytimes at Yo Mama! Frozen Yogurt and Goodies
- Win at the Wisconsin State Fair with a #SnapdragonSelfie!
- Refashion for Life Charity Fashion Show to Feature Clothing, Home Improvement Products
- 24th Annual Milwaukee/NARI Fall Home & Remodeling Show Scheduled
- High Honors Earned At Wisconsin State Fair
- Attorney Sarah A. Ponath Opens New General Practice Law Office in Butler
- Friends of Hart Park to Host Family Film Night