Donna K. Arnett, Ph.D., M.S.P.H., president of the American Heart Association, will present cardiology grand rounds at the Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW) Wednesday, April 17, at 8:00 A.M. Dr. Arnett will discuss genomic and environmental factors in hypertension (high blood pressure) and left ventricular hypertrophy, a heart condition often triggered by uncontrolled blood pressure.
Dr. Arnett, also professor and chair of the department of epidemiology at the University of Alabama – Birmingham, is a cardiovascular genetic epidemiologist whose research focuses on family-based studies. A prime focus of her work has been to identify genetic and genomic determinants of drug response. Another major focus of Dr. Arnett’s work is gene discovery; one study aimed to identify genes contributing to cardiovascular traits in left ventricular hypertrophy.
A research team at MCW headed by Dr. Ulrich Broeckel, professor of pediatrics (genetics), has worked extensively on the HyperGEN project, a multi-institutional study focusing on the genetics of hypertension.
“Dr. Arnett is a leader in the field of family –based longitudinal studies and collaborative research, and our team is looking forward to this discussion,” said Dr. Broeckel.
Dr. Arnett’s presentation will be held in the Alumni Center at MCW, 8701 W. Watertown Plank Road, and is open to the public.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Abby Thompson will appear in Milwaukee Rep Theater's production of A Christmas Carol
- St. Margaret Mary School to Donate 13,200 Pounds of Food
- Richard Kohlmann Named Beverage Manager at Western Racquet Club
- Area Students Perform in Miracle on 34th Street at Sunset Playhouse December 4th through December 31st
- Acclaimed actor Michael York to keynote amyloidosis event
- YOUNG WAUWATOSA RESIDENT APPEARS IN FIRST STAGE'S RUDOLPH THE RED-NOSED REINDEER
- Shop Small on Small Business Saturday
- Milwaukee/NARI Home Improvement Council Honors Barry Mandel With the “Building Milwaukee” Award
- Local Businesses Collect, Deliver More than 4,000 Pounds of Food to New Berlin Food Pantry
- TOP 10 THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW WHEN BUYING A HOME