Donna K. Arnett, Ph.D., M.S.P.H., president of the American Heart Association, will present cardiology grand rounds at the Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW) Wednesday, April 17, at 8:00 A.M. Dr. Arnett will discuss genomic and environmental factors in hypertension (high blood pressure) and left ventricular hypertrophy, a heart condition often triggered by uncontrolled blood pressure.
Dr. Arnett, also professor and chair of the department of epidemiology at the University of Alabama – Birmingham, is a cardiovascular genetic epidemiologist whose research focuses on family-based studies. A prime focus of her work has been to identify genetic and genomic determinants of drug response. Another major focus of Dr. Arnett’s work is gene discovery; one study aimed to identify genes contributing to cardiovascular traits in left ventricular hypertrophy.
A research team at MCW headed by Dr. Ulrich Broeckel, professor of pediatrics (genetics), has worked extensively on the HyperGEN project, a multi-institutional study focusing on the genetics of hypertension.
“Dr. Arnett is a leader in the field of family –based longitudinal studies and collaborative research, and our team is looking forward to this discussion,” said Dr. Broeckel.
Dr. Arnett’s presentation will be held in the Alumni Center at MCW, 8701 W. Watertown Plank Road, and is open to the public.
- Sky Zone Debuts Glow Zone Fridays
- Milwaukee Seniors Celebrate National Senior Fitness Day this Wednesday
- Civic Band Concert Line Up Announced
- Local Resident Participates in BOEING BOEING at Sunset Playhouse
- Stampede for Scouting at the Zoo
- Matthew McLachlan Wins 2016 National Spanish Exam Travel Award
- Chicago Mass Choir Headlines Gospel Showcase Set for July 29
- Director of the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institutes of Health to receive honorary degree, speak at commencement May 20; four community leaders to receive honorary degrees
- Zoom into Nano Opens Big at Discovery World
- MCW receives $6.8 million U.S. Army grant to research neck, spine and brain safety in the military