Stefan Schieke, M.D., assistant professor of dermatology at the Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW), has received the Medical Dermatology Career Development Award from the Dermatology Foundation. He is the first dermatologist from MCW and one of two faculty members in the U.S. to be selected in this category for the prestigious award of the Dermatology Foundation in 2013.
Dr. Schieke is a skin cancer specialist with a focus on lymphomas of the skin and melanoma. The three-year, $165,000 award will provide funding for his research on an agent that may block the growth of T-cell lymphoma of the skin. He is working to develop innovative treatments that translate discoveries in the laboratory into clinical care. Dr. Schieke sees patients at Froedtert Hospital in the Clinical Cancer Center and at Froedtert Health Community Memorial Medical Commons in Menomonee Falls.
The Medical Dermatology Career Development Award is intended to advance the early academic careers and research efforts of physicians and scientists in dermatology and skin biology, with an emphasis on supporting research that has significant potential to improve patient care. Recipients of the Dermatology Foundation’s awards are regarded as tomorrow’s teachers, innovative investigators and master clinicians in dermatology.
The Award from the Dermatology Foundation supplements support from the Ann’s Hope Foundation, which has funded cutaneous oncology research in the department of dermatology for the past two years. Based in southeast Wisconsin, Ann’s Hope Foundation raises awareness and funding for melanoma research.
Since 1964, the Dermatology Foundation, which is based in Evanston, Ill., has provided research support to advance dermatologic care and ensure the development of the specialty’s emerging teachers and investigators in the U.S.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Sport Clips partners with American Red Cross
- Girl Scouts of Wisconsin Southeast calls for new Girl Scout members and volunteers to join in the fun
- Predicting and preventing necrotizing enterocolitis
- Participation in Special Milk Program
- Dr. William Campbell named Eminent Scholar
- Franchisee Opens Second Dickey’s Barbecue Pit Location in Wisconsin
- St. Jude Thrift Plans Fall Sales
- Milwaukee/NARI to Sponsor 24th Annual Fall Home & Remodeling Show
- Volunteering for St. Camillus
- CTSI funds spinal cord injury study