Head and neck cancers affect more than 50,000 people nationwide each year. In the United States, 50 percent of people with head and neck cancers have very advanced cases by the time they first see a doctor.
To increase awareness of this disease and encourage people to get screened, Froedtert & The Medical College of Wisconsin clinical staff will provide free screenings on Wednesday, April 17 from 4 to 6 pm at Froedtert & The Medical College Cancer Center. Registration is required; call (414) 805-3666.
“A 10-minute, painless screening could save your life,” said Michael Stadler, MD, a head and neck cancer specialist at Froedtert & The Medical College Cancer Center. “These cancers often don’t have obvious symptoms in their early stages, so that’s why screening is so important. As with most cancers, early detection is key to beating the disease.”
Head and neck cancer includes cancers of the mouth, tongue, throat, neck, vocal cords, sinuses, tonsils and salivary glands. The cancer is highly curable if found early.
“Unexplained changes such as a lump or bump in the tongue, neck or lip, or changes in swallowing, speech or breathing can be signs of cancer,” Dr. Sadler said. “People who smoke are at highest risk, but not all head and neck cancer patients are smokers.”
Froedtert & The Medical College Cancer Center is located immediately south of the Specialty Clinics building, on Doyne Avenue between N. 87th and N. 92nd Streets. Free parking is available in the Cancer Center parking structure.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Governor Recognizes Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month
- Outsourcing Payroll and HR: The Payroll Company Advantage
- West Allis Central Class of 1979 Reunion
- BBB Tips for Summer Fair Purchases
- Lose Your Job? Your Blueprint to Recovery: Top 10 Things To Do NOW!
- Dental Associates Opens Downtown Clinic in Iron Block Building
- National Farmer's Market Week!!!
- C.H. Coakley Successfully Moves Another Milwaukee Company
- Foti Chiropractic Sending Make-A-Wish Recipient to Disney World
- Storytimes at Yo Mama! Frozen Yogurt and Goodies