The Neuroscience Research Center at the Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW) will present a series of short discussions and interactive exhibits demonstrating the way our brains work Wednesday, April 3 on the MCW campus.
More than 1.7 million Americans suffer a traumatic brain injury every year. Although concussions are a mild form of traumatic brain injury, they can nonetheless have lifelong effects on the brain, particularly if not recognized and treated immediately.
Three brain researchers will present information about consciousness and the effects of concussion on the brain. Anthony Hudetz, Ph.D., professor of anesthesiology, physiology and biophysics, will discuss the concept of consciousness in his talk, “Lights Out: Consciousness and its Loss.”
Danny Thomas, M.D., M.P.H., assistant professor of pediatrics and emergency medicine, will talk about the severity of mild traumatic brain injury in his discussion, “From Bell Ringers to Knockouts: What is a Concussion?”
Lindsay Nelson, Ph.D., a neuropsychologist, wraps up the night with advice for players and parents, “Multiple Concussions: When Should You Get Your Head OUT of the Game?”
The evening begins at 6:00 p.m. with interactive exhibits, followed by the short lectures from 6:30 – 7:30 in the Kerrigan Auditorium. A chance to talk to the presenters and more time to visit the interactive exhibits and demonstrations, accompanied by light refreshments served directly outside the auditorium, will cap the event, which ends at 8:00 p.m.
The Medical College of Wisconsin is located at 8701 W. Watertown Plank Road in Wauwatosa, WI. Free visitor parking is located the street from the main campus entrance.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- How light therapy heals wounds
- Holiday Happenings on Vliet Street!!
- Holiday Folk Fair Producer to Help Fight Ebola
- CIGARMKE - KNOW YOUR LEAF - PART 1
- CIGARMKE LET'S GET LIT - FALL 2014 ON NOV. 8TH
- Local Businesses in Three Communities Band Together to Fight Hunger, Support New Berlin Food Pantry
- Our TreASures … Our Heart
- Cardiovascular and cancer researcher elected Fellow of the American Heart Association
- Mini Book Sale December 8th
- Parenting: Love and Logic