The Neuroscience Research Center at the Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW) will present a series of short discussions and interactive exhibits demonstrating the way our brains work Wednesday, April 3 on the MCW campus.
More than 1.7 million Americans suffer a traumatic brain injury every year. Although concussions are a mild form of traumatic brain injury, they can nonetheless have lifelong effects on the brain, particularly if not recognized and treated immediately.
Three brain researchers will present information about consciousness and the effects of concussion on the brain. Anthony Hudetz, Ph.D., professor of anesthesiology, physiology and biophysics, will discuss the concept of consciousness in his talk, “Lights Out: Consciousness and its Loss.”
Danny Thomas, M.D., M.P.H., assistant professor of pediatrics and emergency medicine, will talk about the severity of mild traumatic brain injury in his discussion, “From Bell Ringers to Knockouts: What is a Concussion?”
Lindsay Nelson, Ph.D., a neuropsychologist, wraps up the night with advice for players and parents, “Multiple Concussions: When Should You Get Your Head OUT of the Game?”
The evening begins at 6:00 p.m. with interactive exhibits, followed by the short lectures from 6:30 – 7:30 in the Kerrigan Auditorium. A chance to talk to the presenters and more time to visit the interactive exhibits and demonstrations, accompanied by light refreshments served directly outside the auditorium, will cap the event, which ends at 8:00 p.m.
The Medical College of Wisconsin is located at 8701 W. Watertown Plank Road in Wauwatosa, WI. Free visitor parking is located the street from the main campus entrance.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- National Farmer's Market Week!!!
- C.H. Coakley Successfully Moves Another Milwaukee Company
- Foti Chiropractic Sending Make-A-Wish Recipient to Disney World
- Storytimes at Yo Mama! Frozen Yogurt and Goodies
- Win at the Wisconsin State Fair with a #SnapdragonSelfie!
- Refashion for Life Charity Fashion Show to Feature Clothing, Home Improvement Products
- 24th Annual Milwaukee/NARI Fall Home & Remodeling Show Scheduled
- High Honors Earned At Wisconsin State Fair
- Attorney Sarah A. Ponath Opens New General Practice Law Office in Butler
- Friends of Hart Park to Host Family Film Night