The Medical College of Wisconsin and Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin Research Institute received a three-year, $2.5 million award from the United States Health Resources and Services Administration to continue funding a statewide, community-based HIV care system for women, infants, and children.
Peter Havens, MD, MS, professor of pediatric infectious disease and a researcher at the Research Institute, is the project director for the grant. Dr. Havens also is the program director of the HIV Clinic at Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin.
The Wisconsin Primary Care Support Network, which was organized in 1991, brings together nine agencies and more than a thousand community providers. Among the services provided are care for pregnant women with HIV and their newborn infants in Wisconsin, children and youth with HIV in Wisconsin and the upper peninsula of Michigan, and people with HIV ages 19-24 in southeast Wisconsin who are at high risk for not adhering to medical care, and women in northeast and southeast Wisconsin with risk factors which make it difficult to engage in care.
Besides minimizing HIV infections in newborn infants throughout Wisconsin, objectives include maximizing access to care, providing comprehensive culturally competent and coordinated HIV medical care and social services support.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Hear About One of Area’s Newest Museums
- BBB Warns Service Members of common scams during Military Saves Week
- Got a Thin Mint craving? Our Girl Scout cookie drive-thrus in Milwaukee and Menomonee Falls make it easy to stock up on all your favorites!
- The Oconomowoc Lake Club Appoints New Sous Chef
- Milwaukee/NARI Offers March 11 Panel Discussion on “Expect The Unexpected…Completing A Home Improvement Project”
- Prometheus Trio To Open Free Concert Series
- A Retirement Income Planning Primer
- Columbia St. Mary's Gateway Medical Clinic Unveils New CT Scanner
- MCW seeks participants for kidney research
- Artist and Display's Final Art Class