Froedtert & The Medical College of Wisconsin was named to the 2013 100 Top Hospitals list released annually by Truven Health Analytics, formerly the healthcare business of Thomson Reuters. The hospital was one of 15 Major Teaching Hospitals named on a list that segments hospitals by: Major Teaching Hospitals, Teaching Hospitals, and Large, Medium and Small Community Hospitals.
Froedtert & The Medical College is the only hospital to be ranked in Southeastern Wisconsin, and one of four ranked in Wisconsin.
“Our vision is to demonstrate superior value,” said Cathy Jacobson, CEO of Froedtert Health. “This award means we are demonstrating excellence across the organization, delivering top-notch patient outcomes, keeping costs down, following recommended processes and providing value to the community as a trusted care partner. This is recognition for the work our staff and Medical College of Wisconsin physician partners do everyday.”
“Medical College of Wisconsin physicians are leading change in healthcare at a time when transformation is needed. Our strong partnership with Froedtert Hospital provides the right environment for innovation and integration of care, and while much work remains, this award confirms we are moving in the right direction,” said John R. Raymond Sr. MD, President and CEO of the Medical College of Wisconsin.
The national rankings have been annually published for more than 20 years, most recently by Modern Healthcare. Of the nearly 3,000 hospitals evaluated, only 100 performed well enough to rank nationally.
“This year’s winners have brought even higher value to their local communities – better quality, higher efficiency and high patient perceptions of care, while confronting the challenges of massive industry-wide transformation to implement healthcare reform,” said Jean Chenoweth, senior vice president at Truven Health Analytics.
The Truven Health rankings evaluate performance in 10 areas: mortality, medical complications, patient safety, average patient stay, expenses, profitability, patient satisfaction, adherence to clinical standards of care, post-discharge mortality, and readmission rates for heart attacks, heart failure and pneumonia.
“Quality is at the core of who we are and drives what we do,” said Cathy Buck, President of Froedtert Hospital. “This recognition is a testament to the diligent work of our staff and physicians across our organization as they continually strive for excellence in caring for patients.”
Truven reports that 100 Top Hospitals outperform their peers by demonstrating excellence and operating effectively across all functional areas. Based on comparisons between the study winners and a peer group of similar high volume hospitals that were not winners, they found that if all hospitals performed at the level of this year’s winners:
- More than 164,000 additional lives could be saved
- Nearly 82,000 additional patients could be complication free
- $6 billion could be saved
- The typical patient could be released from the hospital half a day sooner.
This analysis is based on Medicare patients. If the same standards were applied to all inpatients, the impact would be greater.
Froedtert & The Medical College of Wisconsin combines the strengths of Froedtert Hospital and The Medical College in an academic medical center that delivers advanced medical care. Froedtert & The Medical College is nationally recognized for exceptional physicians, research leadership, specialty expertise and state-of-the-science treatments and technology. For more information, visit froedtert.com and mcw.edu.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Trinity UCC to Host Annual Church Picnic and Outdoor Worship
- Medical College of Wisconsin, Froedtert Hospital Name Alice Archabal as Chief Development Officer, Vice President of Development
- Wisconsin BBB Advises: Beware of Green Dot MoneyPak Scams
- Children's Medical Grants Now Available in Wisconsin from the UnitedHealthcare Children's Foundation
- Feline Superstars Debut This Weekend in New Endangered Species Puzzles at Zoo
- The Castle on Newberry is 2013 WBCS, Inc. Showhouse for a Cure
- BBB Moves to New Location
- Introduce a New Member Into Your Family & Culture This Summer By Hosting a Student From Spain
- $6 Million Grant Funds National EPR Center at MCW
- FREE Elmbrook Memorial "Walk with a Wheaton Doc"