Longfellow science teacher, Sarah Lichey, was awarded a $5,769 Education Foundation of Wauwatosa (EFW) grant to supply the science classes with cordless microscopes. In addition to investing in new and updated equipment, the cordless microscopes help to make the classroom a safer environment. With multiple microscopes around the room at work stations, the old equipment required extension cords all over the floor which was a tripping hazard.
Both 6th and 8th grade students are utilizing the microscopes this year. In 6th grade they have been studying light and how it reflects or scatters off of surfaces depending on the smoothness of the surface. The students looked at objects with the naked eye that appears to be smooth but when examined under the microscope they saw that it was really an uneven surface. In the biology unit they will use them to look at hair follicles of humans versus animals and will also use them to look at cellular differences.
8th grade used the microscopes to look at different types of cells. They made prepared slides of an onion, their own cheek cell, and a plant leaf. They looked at both plant and animal cells to determine what the differences are between them. The microscopes can also be used for the DNA/heredity unit.
For more information on this and the other 15 EFW grants, visit our website at www.tosaefw.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Blaze Fast-Fire’d Pizza Celebrates “Pi Day” with $3.14 Pizzas on Friday, March 14
- Wauwatosa Recreation and Summer School New Registration Procedures
- Milwaukee Montessori School Welcomes Catherine Brys as Director of Child Care Program
- BELLWETHER’S PRIVATE LOAN FUNDING
- Holiday Food Drive For Hunger Task Force to be Featured in St. Patrick’s Day Parades
- CigarMKE SPRING FLING EVENT - FEBRUARY 21ST
- Free Sound Reinforcement & Live Sound Classes
- Historian John Gurda To Speak at Elm Grove Playhouse
- Announcing the Wauwatosa Distinguished Citizen for 2013: Maureen Connors Badding
- McKinley Lodge Fish Fry