St. Mary's Visitation Student Off to Madison for State Spelling Bee after Capturing Regionals
Elizabeth Janowski, an eighth grader at St. Mary's Visitation School in Elm Grove, won the CESA Regional Spelling Bee on February 13. As top speller in the region, Elizabeth will be representing the southeastern Wisconsin region at the Badger State Spelling Bee in Madison in March.
To capture the title, Elizabeth, a resident of Brookfield, outlasted top spellers from 24 private and public schools from southeastern Wisconsin. She qualified for regionals by winning -- for the second year in a row -- the CESA 1 district spelling bee, comprised of 21 spellers from nine Waukesha county private schools.
Elizabeth won the regional spelling bee by correctly spelling the word "aristocracy." To capture the district title, she correctly spelled the word "derisible."
"I prepare a few days ahead of each spelling bee using a collection or word list I've found online," said Elizabeth. " I enjoy spelling bees because you get to hear a lot of new words that are not usually used in a regular vocabulary."
The Wisconsin state champion will represent Wisconsin in the Scripps National Spelling Bee in Washington DC.
The Badger Spelling Bee is sponsored by the Wisconsin Business Journal.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- MCW-Green Bay receives $250,000 Impact Grant from the Green Bay Packers Foundation
- New Dr. Nicole Knapp, D.C. blog post – Pregnancy and Chiropractic
- C.A.R.I.N.G. Group Elmbrook Maintains Summer Momentum, Donating More Than $500 to Schools
- "In Your Eyes: The Animal/Human Connection"
- Enroll Now For Free Welding Training
- Dental Exam Often Overlooked as Part of Prenatal Care
- Polonia's Annual Festival
- Callen Construction Suggests Kitchen Upgrades for Easier Cooking and Cleaning
- Brighter Economic Prospects Brings Greater Focus on Cash Flow, Efficiency
- Join Milwaukee Art Museum and Kohl’s Art Generation’s Story Time This Weekend with Guest Author Susan Verde