St. Mary's Visitation Student Off to Madison for State Spelling Bee after Capturing Regionals
Elizabeth Janowski, an eighth grader at St. Mary's Visitation School in Elm Grove, won the CESA Regional Spelling Bee on February 13. As top speller in the region, Elizabeth will be representing the southeastern Wisconsin region at the Badger State Spelling Bee in Madison in March.
To capture the title, Elizabeth, a resident of Brookfield, outlasted top spellers from 24 private and public schools from southeastern Wisconsin. She qualified for regionals by winning -- for the second year in a row -- the CESA 1 district spelling bee, comprised of 21 spellers from nine Waukesha county private schools.
Elizabeth won the regional spelling bee by correctly spelling the word "aristocracy." To capture the district title, she correctly spelled the word "derisible."
"I prepare a few days ahead of each spelling bee using a collection or word list I've found online," said Elizabeth. " I enjoy spelling bees because you get to hear a lot of new words that are not usually used in a regular vocabulary."
The Wisconsin state champion will represent Wisconsin in the Scripps National Spelling Bee in Washington DC.
The Badger Spelling Bee is sponsored by the Wisconsin Business Journal.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa Youth Commission helps Kyle's Corners
- Adolescent patients needed for study on pain
- Care and quality of life for older, rural HIV-positive adults
- HGTV’s House Hunters Returns to Southeastern Wisconsin to Feature Flat Rate Home Services’ Employee
- International Expert Dr. Michele Borba to Speak at Alverno College Character Education Conference
- Stars and Stripes Honor Flight-The Final Thank You
- Meijer Announces Opening Dates for First Wisconsin Supercenters
- Comprehensive Eye Exams Can Help Re-engage Patients Into Care for Certain Chronic Conditions, With the Potential to Help Improve Health and Reduce Costs
- Tosa East Junior Achieves Eagle Scout Award
- G.A.P.C. Hosts Annual Strawberry Fest June 14th