St. Mary's Visitation Student Off to Madison for State Spelling Bee after Capturing Regionals
Elizabeth Janowski, an eighth grader at St. Mary's Visitation School in Elm Grove, won the CESA Regional Spelling Bee on February 13. As top speller in the region, Elizabeth will be representing the southeastern Wisconsin region at the Badger State Spelling Bee in Madison in March.
To capture the title, Elizabeth, a resident of Brookfield, outlasted top spellers from 24 private and public schools from southeastern Wisconsin. She qualified for regionals by winning -- for the second year in a row -- the CESA 1 district spelling bee, comprised of 21 spellers from nine Waukesha county private schools.
Elizabeth won the regional spelling bee by correctly spelling the word "aristocracy." To capture the district title, she correctly spelled the word "derisible."
"I prepare a few days ahead of each spelling bee using a collection or word list I've found online," said Elizabeth. " I enjoy spelling bees because you get to hear a lot of new words that are not usually used in a regular vocabulary."
The Wisconsin state champion will represent Wisconsin in the Scripps National Spelling Bee in Washington DC.
The Badger Spelling Bee is sponsored by the Wisconsin Business Journal.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Trinity UCC to Host Annual Church Picnic and Outdoor Worship
- Medical College of Wisconsin, Froedtert Hospital Name Alice Archabal as Chief Development Officer, Vice President of Development
- Wisconsin BBB Advises: Beware of Green Dot MoneyPak Scams
- Children's Medical Grants Now Available in Wisconsin from the UnitedHealthcare Children's Foundation
- Feline Superstars Debut This Weekend in New Endangered Species Puzzles at Zoo
- The Castle on Newberry is 2013 WBCS, Inc. Showhouse for a Cure
- BBB Moves to New Location
- Introduce a New Member Into Your Family & Culture This Summer By Hosting a Student From Spain
- $6 Million Grant Funds National EPR Center at MCW
- FREE Elmbrook Memorial "Walk with a Wheaton Doc"