Dr. Ivor Benjamin to Head Medical College of Wisconsin’s Cardiovascular Research Center
Ivor J. Benjamin, M.D., has been named chief of the division of cardiovascular medicine at the Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW). Dr. Benjamin will also serve as director of MCW’s Cardiovascular Research Center, and as vice chair for translational research. He will see patients at Froedtert Hospital.
Dr. Benjamin is currently the Christi T. Smith Professor of Cardiology and Medicine, a professor of biochemistry, and director of the laboratory of cardiac disease, redox signaling and cell regeneration at the University of Utah.
Dr. Benjamin received his medical degree from the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine in Baltimore, MD. He received training in internal medicine at Yale-New Haven Hospital and cardiology fellowship training at Michael Reese Hospital (University of Chicago). Dr. Benjamin also completed fellowships in molecular cardiology at Duke University Medical Center and at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center (AHA-Bugher) at Dallas.
Board-certified in internal medicine and cardiology, Dr. Benjamin’s clinical interests include general cardiology, inheritable cardiac failure, and myocardial infarction. His research has been continuously funded from both private foundations and the National Institutes of Health for more than 15 years. He is a member of the American Society of Clinical Investigation, American Association of Physicians, a Fellow of the American Heart Association, Fellow of the American College of Cardiology, and serves on the National Advisory Board of the NHLBI.
“Translational research, taking basic science findings and transforming that research into cutting-edge medicine, is key in developing new strategies to treat patients with cardiovascular disease,” said Joseph E. Kerschner, M.D., MCW’s executive vice president and dean of the medical school. “Dr. Benjamin’s research and clinical expertise will be key elements in facilitating interactions between the basic scientists in the Cardiovascular Research Center and the clinicians and clinical scientists in the Cardiology Division.”
Dr. Benjamin’s appointment, which is effective May 1, 2013, will be presented to the MCW Board of Trustees at its regularly scheduled meeting on March 22, 2013.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Hear About One of Area’s Newest Museums
- BBB Warns Service Members of common scams during Military Saves Week
- Got a Thin Mint craving? Our Girl Scout cookie drive-thrus in Milwaukee and Menomonee Falls make it easy to stock up on all your favorites!
- The Oconomowoc Lake Club Appoints New Sous Chef
- Milwaukee/NARI Offers March 11 Panel Discussion on “Expect The Unexpected…Completing A Home Improvement Project”
- Prometheus Trio To Open Free Concert Series
- A Retirement Income Planning Primer
- Columbia St. Mary's Gateway Medical Clinic Unveils New CT Scanner
- MCW seeks participants for kidney research
- Artist and Display's Final Art Class