Elm Grove, Wis. – A dozen red roses is the traditional gift from men to women on Valentine’s Day. But is it the best? Is it even what she really wants?
The Feb. 14 holiday presents an annual quandary for many men. Uncertain of what to give their sweethearts, they opt for the usual fallbacks and, in the process, miss an opportunity to strike an original, colorful romantic chord.
“Women appreciate gifts that show a man took the time to think about their likes and interests,” said Denise Barnett, co-owner of Snapdragon Flowers of Elm Grove. “Valentine’s Day offers the perfect chance to make a meaningful, lasting impression, with or without roses.”
Knowing a woman’s favorite color is a valuable insight, one that can often be learned based on her clothing or jewelry, Barnett said. A monochromatic flower arrangement blends different flowers in varying shades of a single color. Sending a bouquet in “her” color gives plenty notice that you’ve been paying attention, Barnett said.
With healthy red roses starting at $75 a dozen, this Valentine’s standby might be out of reach of some guys’ budgets. An alternative is to purchase a less-expensive bouquet and have it delivered, Barnett said. The type of flowers will pale in comparison to your sweetheart’s surprise and joy, especially as coworkers “ooh” and “ahh” over them all day.
The rules are different for newer relationships. Valentine flowers should be significant and attractive but not overkill, Barnett said. Because Valentine’s Day is all about love, Mom and Grandma shouldn’t be forgotten in the festivities, either.
“People often ask if it’s OK for a woman to send flowers to a man,” Barnett said. “The answer is definitely ‘yes.’ The key is using an arrangement that is eye-catching without being ‘pretty.’”
Ordering flowers online should be done cautiously, especially if sending to another city. Barnett advised checking out customer reviews and reading the fine print. Is delivery guaranteed? Are flowers delivered arranged in a vase, or in a decidedly unromantic, do-it-yourself box kit?
“Valentine’s Day is an opportunity for men to score big points with the women in their lives,” Barnett said. “Don’t hesitate or be intimidated – play it smart, and you’ll reap the rewards.”
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Hear About One of Area’s Newest Museums
- BBB Warns Service Members of common scams during Military Saves Week
- Got a Thin Mint craving? Our Girl Scout cookie drive-thrus in Milwaukee and Menomonee Falls make it easy to stock up on all your favorites!
- The Oconomowoc Lake Club Appoints New Sous Chef
- Milwaukee/NARI Offers March 11 Panel Discussion on “Expect The Unexpected…Completing A Home Improvement Project”
- Prometheus Trio To Open Free Concert Series
- A Retirement Income Planning Primer
- Columbia St. Mary's Gateway Medical Clinic Unveils New CT Scanner
- MCW seeks participants for kidney research
- Artist and Display's Final Art Class