Elm Grove, Wis. – A dozen red roses is the traditional gift from men to women on Valentine’s Day. But is it the best? Is it even what she really wants?
The Feb. 14 holiday presents an annual quandary for many men. Uncertain of what to give their sweethearts, they opt for the usual fallbacks and, in the process, miss an opportunity to strike an original, colorful romantic chord.
“Women appreciate gifts that show a man took the time to think about their likes and interests,” said Denise Barnett, co-owner of Snapdragon Flowers of Elm Grove. “Valentine’s Day offers the perfect chance to make a meaningful, lasting impression, with or without roses.”
Knowing a woman’s favorite color is a valuable insight, one that can often be learned based on her clothing or jewelry, Barnett said. A monochromatic flower arrangement blends different flowers in varying shades of a single color. Sending a bouquet in “her” color gives plenty notice that you’ve been paying attention, Barnett said.
With healthy red roses starting at $75 a dozen, this Valentine’s standby might be out of reach of some guys’ budgets. An alternative is to purchase a less-expensive bouquet and have it delivered, Barnett said. The type of flowers will pale in comparison to your sweetheart’s surprise and joy, especially as coworkers “ooh” and “ahh” over them all day.
The rules are different for newer relationships. Valentine flowers should be significant and attractive but not overkill, Barnett said. Because Valentine’s Day is all about love, Mom and Grandma shouldn’t be forgotten in the festivities, either.
“People often ask if it’s OK for a woman to send flowers to a man,” Barnett said. “The answer is definitely ‘yes.’ The key is using an arrangement that is eye-catching without being ‘pretty.’”
Ordering flowers online should be done cautiously, especially if sending to another city. Barnett advised checking out customer reviews and reading the fine print. Is delivery guaranteed? Are flowers delivered arranged in a vase, or in a decidedly unromantic, do-it-yourself box kit?
“Valentine’s Day is an opportunity for men to score big points with the women in their lives,” Barnett said. “Don’t hesitate or be intimidated – play it smart, and you’ll reap the rewards.”
- Milwaukee Backgammon Club to hold 3 tournaments in August!
- 4th Annual Cruisin’ the Grove Scheduled for Aug. 7
- MCW awarded $1.9 million to investigate disease prevention utilizing slime mold
- Dublin the Fun Partner Promotions Make Milwaukee Irish Fest Even More Affordable
- September Fashion Show in Washington County
- Back to School...BBB Reminds You to Shop Smart!
- New Brookfield Nutrition Office Open August 1
- Back To School....BBB Reminds You To Shop Smart!
- Meijer to Sponsor Six Flags Great America Back-2-School Blast
- McKinley Lodge hosts "World Famous Fish Fry"