Utilizing a $1,118 Education Foundation of Wauwatosa (EFW) grant, Longfellow Middle School science teacher, Michele Schmidt, introduced her students to a creative way to problem-solve. Schmidt's plan was to implement a five week project beginning with learning stations where students would discover and explore ways to explain force and motion concepts. With the use of Simple Machine K'Nex sets, students would plan and construct machines to solve a problem that they created. They would conduct these hands-on activities while discussing and analyzing possible solutions.
The program has been implemented and students are creating and constructing simple and compound machines. Schmidt says the focus is on planning, predicting, inventing, and modifying applications of concepts. Students demonstrate examples, discuss and defend as they compare solutions. They use teamwork and higher level thinking skills as they work together to solve problems. At the conclusion of their investigations, teams will build a Rube Goldberg Machine as a differentiated activity.
It is clear that Schmidt's EFW grant is enriching the learning experience for her students. As one of them stated, "Wow. This is the way to learn science. Learn while you're having fun."
To learn more about this and the other 15 EFW grants, visit www.tosaefw.org. To see more photos of this grant join us on Facebook at TosaEFW.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Milwaukee/NARI Offers September 17 Panel Discussion on Creating an Outdoor Living Space
- Better breathing for sleep apnea patients
- Two Advisors in Brookfield Ameriprise Office Achieve Circle of Success Recognition
- Local Residents Perform At Sunset Playhouse
- On Course for a Cure: Golfers tee off for digestive disease research
- Friends of Hart Park to Host Family Film Night
- Largest Youth Football Scrimmage in the State?
- August is “Cataract Awareness Month”: 6 Things you should know about CATARACTS
- Sarah Oberhofer Joins Brookfield Office of Ameriprise Financial
- KIDS From Wisconsin to rock New Berlin West High School Aug. 22