Utilizing a $1,118 Education Foundation of Wauwatosa (EFW) grant, Longfellow Middle School science teacher, Michele Schmidt, introduced her students to a creative way to problem-solve. Schmidt's plan was to implement a five week project beginning with learning stations where students would discover and explore ways to explain force and motion concepts. With the use of Simple Machine K'Nex sets, students would plan and construct machines to solve a problem that they created. They would conduct these hands-on activities while discussing and analyzing possible solutions.
The program has been implemented and students are creating and constructing simple and compound machines. Schmidt says the focus is on planning, predicting, inventing, and modifying applications of concepts. Students demonstrate examples, discuss and defend as they compare solutions. They use teamwork and higher level thinking skills as they work together to solve problems. At the conclusion of their investigations, teams will build a Rube Goldberg Machine as a differentiated activity.
It is clear that Schmidt's EFW grant is enriching the learning experience for her students. As one of them stated, "Wow. This is the way to learn science. Learn while you're having fun."
To learn more about this and the other 15 EFW grants, visit www.tosaefw.org. To see more photos of this grant join us on Facebook at TosaEFW.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- St. Jude the Apostle Kindergartners Gift of Warmth Keeps Giving
- Virtual School Students Meet Classmates at Discovery World Field Trip
- Wauwatosa residents win grants through Northwestern Mutual Days of Sharing program
- Not a Good Idea to Bike?
- KNAPP CHIROPRACTIC AND WELLNESS CENTER, INC. PATIENTS GIVE OUTSTANDING TESTIMONIALS
- Milwaukee/NARI Recognizes Six Industry Advocates
- Dr. Melinda Stolley named MCW Cancer Center associate director
- WAUWATOSA DISTINGUISHED CITIZEN 2014: CALL FOR NOMINATIONS
- “Battle of the Bays” Getaway winner announced by BloodCenter of WI
- Celebrate the Christmas Season with Trinity United Church of Christ