Singer-songwriter Melanie DeMore is a vibrant, energetic musician with a remarkable voice who weaves the fibers of African American folk music with soulful ballads, spirituals and her own original music. She will be in concert at UU Church West Saturday, Feb. 3 at 8 p.m. and will be our featured guest at the 9:15 & 11 am worship services on Sunday, February 4. Her theme is “Vocal Activism: Raise your Voice in Song.” Concert tickets will be available at the door – 13001 W. North Ave., Brookfield, WI 53005.
DeMore is well known to feminists, lesbians and in the music scene on the West Coast, and she has two recordings out: ‘Share My Song’ and ‘Come Follow Me’. Her music is described as “in the African-American folk tradition of Odetta,” to whom she has often been compared for her deep, rich voice. She has toured extensively, singing at festivals, universities, in coffee houses and concert halls. In addition to her solo work, DeMore facilitates workshops and gives presentations for professional and community-based choral groups and has taught her program called “Sound Awareness” in schools, prisons, and youth organizations in the US, Canada, Cuba and New Zealand.
Find out more about Melanie DeMore at her official website: http://126.96.36.199/~melaniq0/ or at http://www.uucw.org/component/content/article/701-vocal-activist-melanie-demore-saturday-a-sunday-feb-2-a-3
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Loving Touch Infant Massage
- Milwaukee/NARI Home Improvement Council Announces 2014 Officers and Directors
- Suburpia in Wauwatosa,WI is OPEN!
- Klotz One of Four Finalists for the Gagliardi Trophy
- Medical Student Awarded Tylenol Future Care Scholarship
- Celebrate the Holiday Season with Trinity United Church of Christ
- C.H. Coakey Announces Promotion
- Enjoy Mount Hope's Candlelight Christmas Concert This Sunday
- Milwaukee Festival Brass
- New Zounds Hearing Center Offers Greater Performance, Ease of Use for Hearing Aid Wearers