Singer-songwriter Melanie DeMore is a vibrant, energetic musician with a remarkable voice who weaves the fibers of African American folk music with soulful ballads, spirituals and her own original music. She will be in concert at UU Church West Saturday, Feb. 3 at 8 p.m. and will be our featured guest at the 9:15 & 11 am worship services on Sunday, February 4. Her theme is “Vocal Activism: Raise your Voice in Song.” Concert tickets will be available at the door – 13001 W. North Ave., Brookfield, WI 53005.
DeMore is well known to feminists, lesbians and in the music scene on the West Coast, and she has two recordings out: ‘Share My Song’ and ‘Come Follow Me’. Her music is described as “in the African-American folk tradition of Odetta,” to whom she has often been compared for her deep, rich voice. She has toured extensively, singing at festivals, universities, in coffee houses and concert halls. In addition to her solo work, DeMore facilitates workshops and gives presentations for professional and community-based choral groups and has taught her program called “Sound Awareness” in schools, prisons, and youth organizations in the US, Canada, Cuba and New Zealand.
Find out more about Melanie DeMore at her official website: http://18.104.22.168/~melaniq0/ or at http://www.uucw.org/component/content/article/701-vocal-activist-melanie-demore-saturday-a-sunday-feb-2-a-3
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Froedtert & MCW Ranks Among Top 10 US Academic Medical Centers
- Corporate Chair Massage Program - It's Essential!
- Halloween Safety Tips
- Dr. Kiran K. Turaga named Sharon K. Wadina Endowed Professor in Sarcoma Research
- Milwaukee Backgammon Club: October schedule
- Happy 10th Anniversary Hart Park Square!
- MCW announces Critical Care Pediatric Nurse Practitioner Fellowship Program
- MCW’s Advancing a Healthier Wisconsin Endowment awards $250,000 to assess health impact of Eau Claire community planning
- Seniors can learn tips for downsizing in free presentation Oct. 6
- MCW awarded $2.7 million grant to advance the understanding and measurement of outcomes in children with chronic disease