Singer-songwriter Melanie DeMore is a vibrant, energetic musician with a remarkable voice who weaves the fibers of African American folk music with soulful ballads, spirituals and her own original music. She will be in concert at UU Church West Saturday, Feb. 3 at 8 p.m. and will be our featured guest at the 9:15 & 11 am worship services on Sunday, February 4. Her theme is “Vocal Activism: Raise your Voice in Song.” Concert tickets will be available at the door – 13001 W. North Ave., Brookfield, WI 53005.
DeMore is well known to feminists, lesbians and in the music scene on the West Coast, and she has two recordings out: ‘Share My Song’ and ‘Come Follow Me’. Her music is described as “in the African-American folk tradition of Odetta,” to whom she has often been compared for her deep, rich voice. She has toured extensively, singing at festivals, universities, in coffee houses and concert halls. In addition to her solo work, DeMore facilitates workshops and gives presentations for professional and community-based choral groups and has taught her program called “Sound Awareness” in schools, prisons, and youth organizations in the US, Canada, Cuba and New Zealand.
Find out more about Melanie DeMore at her official website: http://18.104.22.168/~melaniq0/ or at http://www.uucw.org/component/content/article/701-vocal-activist-melanie-demore-saturday-a-sunday-feb-2-a-3
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- BBB to Hold Free Fall Shredding Events
- Travel Around the World at the 71st Annual Holiday Folk Fair International
- Milwaukee/NARI’s Tips for Easier Fall Lawn & Garden Maintenance
- Attendance at Seventh Annual Multi-Chamber Networking Event Tops Two Hundred Fifty Members
- Meet Your New Employer at the Workforce Development Center's Autumn Recruitment Fair
- Fall Open House at Heritage Court in Menomonee Falls
- St. Robert School Annual Rummage Sale October 3 and 4
- Bartelt Wins Two MBA Achievement Awards
- HMGC designated to run Undiagnosed Disease Network sequencing center
- New parking lot kicks off $1 million in WAUMC capital improvements