An enhanced Outdoor Living Area with a Mediterranean theme, the Schlossmann’s Dodge City Chrysler Jeep Vehicle Display, and an Interior Design Contest between local colleges are some of the attractions at the 51st annual Milwaukee/NARI Home Improvement Show at the Wisconsin Exposition Center at State Fair Park in West Allis, Thurs., Feb. 7, through Sun., Feb. 10.
The Show’s Outdoor Living Area will feature a Mediterranean theme, with landscaping, hardscaping, and water features. The following Milwaukee/NARI members are participating in the Outdoor Living Area construction:
• Aquatica, a division of Dean Pipito Waterfeatures, LLC: Creating an elegant and enjoyable water feature that can stand alone in any landscape, the Mediterranean themed feature will bring movement and sound, along with the vision of falling water over classical urns and statuary.
• Nite Time Decor by Bold Illuminations: Outdoor LED lighting to enhance the overall display space.
• Breezy Hill Nursery, Inc.: Whether it’s the presence of a quaint trickle of water, the naturally warm colors of the paved sitting area, the rustic appeal of the overhead pergola, or the idea of a relaxed game of Bocce Ball, this display contains all the elements of a desired Mediterranean getaway.
• Exteriors Unlimited Landscape Contractors, Inc.: The space will feature a natural stone fire pit, honed limestone grilling station with integrated bar seating, and a rustic cedar pergola. The distinct areas will be tied together with the use of Brussels tumbled pavers that resemble the classic time-worn, hand-hewn cobblestones from the streets of early American settlements. The same look is carried upward into the seat walls and pillars. Using a wooden pergola that extends the landscape vertically and is silhouetted by an overhead canopy of trees creates feelings of intimacy, warmth, and protection.
• Ground Affects Landscaping, Inc.: Welcomed by a bubbling urn, Show attendees will enter the outdoor room through the main entrance under a cedar Arbor with cast stone columns. The paver patio displays two styles of brick that coincide to create a beautiful and functional space. The space includes shade trees and plantings, a Holly bush, Hyacinths in full bloom, along with daffodils and tulips. Landscape lighting and a natural stone raised fire element complete the living space.
• Innovative Exteriors Landscape: The space will use a combination stone products with Fond du Lac flagstone steppers and a man-made aspect with walkway pavers and flooring in the fireplace area. The walkways will be covered with a pergola that uses both natural wood and wrought iron to create views to the center area’s focal point. A sitting area along the walkway will feature flagstone steppers surrounded by tall evergreens and perennials.
Attendees will have an opportunity to serve as judges of an Interior Design Contest sponsored by Nehmey Construction, which will pit students from Gateway Technical College, Milwaukee Area Technical College, and Waukesha County Technical College each designing and creating a 12' x 12' garage with a “man-cave” theme. The participating schools will each receive $1,000 for the school’s interior design program.
Providing attendees with a central location to learn about the various components of the country’s largest home improvement council, the Milwaukee/NARI Information Center will have members from different areas of the association, including Membership, Education/Certification, and the Milwaukee/NARI Foundation, the association’s charitable arm. At least one of the association’s Certified Professionals will be in the Information Center at all times to answer consumer inquiries relating to home improvement and remodeling.
The Grand Appliance and TV Coffee and Media Lounge will provide an area for Show attendees to relax as they walk the aisles, as well as enjoy a complimentary cup of Alterra Coffee on Feb. 7 and Feb. 8 10:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m., and on Feb. 9 and Feb. 10 from 10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Ultimate Confections will be at the Show during its entire run selling an assortment fine chocolates and other treats in time for Valentine’s Day.
The latest 2013 cars and trucks will be shown inside the expo center in the Schlossmann’s Dodge City Chrysler Jeep Vehicle Display, including the all new Ram 1500, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Chrysler Town & Country, Dodge Durango, and a Chrysler 200.
On Feb. 8, the first 200 attendees will receive a Valentine carnation courtesy of Locker’s Floral.
The Kids Creative Zone sponsored by Advantage Carpentry and Remodeling, will be open Feb. 9 and Feb 10, featuring arts, crafts, face painting by Milwaukee Face Painter (1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. on Feb. 9 and 3:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. Feb. 10), interactive activities, and an opportunity to take a photo with Gerry the Carpenter Ant, Milwaukee/NARI’s mascot, 2:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. each day.
During the Show, educational demonstrations and seminars by home improvement experts and media celebrities will be held, including presentations on the Renewal by Andersen Seminar Stage by Bonnie Schneider, CNN/HLN Meteorologist and DIY Network weather expert, presented by Allrite Home & Remodeling, discussing “Extreme Weather,” Melinda Myers, The Plant Doctor, Gus Gnorski, Lis Friemoth, “The Garden Hoe”, and Tom Feiza, Mr. Fix-It, presented by J&B Construction, Inc. The Mukwonago Remodeling Cooking Demonstration Stage will feature area chefs and national cooking celebrities, including Mad Dog & Merrill, the Grilling Buddies, and Patricia Katopes, Food Network “Cupcake Wars” Winner. In addition, the Show will also feature live music featuring Scott E. Berendt and the Milwaukee Mandolin Orchestra, sponsored by Dimension Design, Build, Remodel, Inc.
Hours Thurs., Feb. 7, Fri., Feb. 8, and Sat., Feb. 9, are 10 a.m. – 8 p.m.; and 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Sun., Feb. 10. Admission is $5 in advance, $8 at the door. Tickets for seniors 60 and older are $5.00, with a special price of $4.00 at the door on Thurs., Feb. 7, for Senior Day sponsored by Callen Construction, Inc. Children 12 and younger and all military personnel with a military ID card will be admitted free.
For more information, visit www.milwaukeenari.org or call 414-771-4071.
- Color Craze at the Wauwatosa Library
- Performer Steve Girman at the Wauwatosa Public Library
- Marquette student from Menomonee Falls "Plays it forward" in support of Youth Sports Camp
- Taiwan Excellence Comes to Summerfest
- Froedtert & the Medical College of Wisconsin and Easter Seals Southeast Wisconsin Celebrate Project SEARCH Completion Ceremony for Adults With Disabilities
- Electricity Program at Wauwatosa Library
- Bessie Turns 100!
- Community service project provides speakers to groups and clubs
- Appliance Gallery Offers Decorating Tips to Compliment Appliances
- Pro Skateboarder to visit Tosa Skatepark