“Sisters of Freedom: African-American Women Moving Us Forward” Poster Exhibit Sunday, January 27 ONLY
The Community Room Art Gallery at Unitarian Universalist Church West in Brookfield, 13001 W. North Ave, will be hosting a one-day-only exhibit of classic and modern poster-art titled the “Sisters of Freedom: African-American Women Moving Us Forward”. It portrays the work of more than three-dozen women leaders who changed the course of history with their commitment to and passion for social justice and racial equity. The show may be viewed on Sunday, January 27th, from 8:30 am to 12:30 pm.
“Sisters of Freedom: African-American Women Moving Us Forward” was curated and designed by the staff of the Syracuse Cultural Workers (Syracuse, New York) and inspired by two faculty members at Mount Mary College, Dr. Shawnee Daniels-Sykes and Dr. Lynne Woehrle, who longed for better teaching tools about the contributions women have made to civil rights. The exhibit expresses the rich history of women's leadership in the U.S. Civil Rights movement from struggles against slavery through the present day. The exhibit covers work from three local Milwaukee leaders, Gwen T. Jackson, Martha Love, and Vel Phillips along with other new and familiar names from the civil rights movement. Those who have seen the display have described it as "encouraging and inspiring" and a "moving exhibit."
This educational exhibit is available for loan to interested organizations. For more information, call (414) 258-4810, ext. 473 or 413. The exhibit was acquired with a grant from the SSND Mother Caroline Mandate fund.
UUCW is located on the eastern edge of Brookfield at 13001 W. North Ave., minutes west of the North Avenue exit on Highway 45. The Unitarian Universalist Church West Community Room Gallery champions local and non-local emerging and established artists, and strives to build community through the visual arts. The gallery also provides a space for exhibiting artwork that grapples with issues of diversity, tolerance, and social justice, plus art that celebrates the planet and the interdependent web of all existence. Unitarian Universalist Church West values diversity and works to create peace and fight oppression.
For more information about Unitarian Universalist Church West see www.uucw.org, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or call (262) 782-3535, For more information about the Community Room Gallery, contact the church office. See also http://www.uucw.org/community/music-visual-arts
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- LearningRx Tips for a Successful Parent-Teacher Conference
- Milwaukee/NARI Members Advise That Details Make the Difference in Interior Design
- Zymbiotics a New Local Company Making Fine Fermented Foods is Now Available at Outpost Coop & Metcalfe's Market
- Hart Park Square Art Guild
- Inspired by Love of Their Country, Local Contractor Gifts Veteran Family New Furnace to Help Them through Harsh Winter
- Lenten Concert & Fish Fry
- Diabetes and oral health in Milwaukee’s Mexican-American community
- Retzer Nature Center’s Annual Spring Sale Plant Pre-Orders due March 6th
- Connor Remodeling & Design Wins Three WRA Golds for Second Consecutive Year
- VFW Fundraiser in New Berlin