Fourth grade students at St. Matthias Parish School in Milwaukee will learn how to turn their creative ideas into patentable inventions, with the help of experts from the Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW).
Every year, Mrs. Rachele Wehr’s students create their own inventions, which are then displayed at the school’s open house in late January. The school recently established a partnership with MCW's Biotechnology and Bioengineering Center (BBC) through their outreach program. On January 23rd, members of MCW’s office of technology development will partner with those students to explain the invention and patent process, and show them how to write a patent.
“Providing children opportunities to invent empowers them with the tools to assess problems, think creatively, and translate their ideas into successful solutions and products,” said Kalpa Vithalani, Ph.D., licensing manager in the MCW office of technology development.
The BBC’s outreach program is part of its mission to mentor and train students at the K-12 level. The goal is to spark students’ interest and increase awareness of science, technology, engineering and mathematics career opportunities.
“Our fourth graders will discuss their processes and how their inventions will make life easier for the user. With the help of the scientists coming from MCW, we hope to expand their understanding of inventions to include patents—which will take the lesson to the next level,” said Susan Booth, principal of St. Matthias.
The program will be held at St. Matthias Parish School, 9300 W. Beloit Road, from 9:30 a.m. – 10:30 a.m. Media are invited to attend.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Blarney Run/Walk returns to Hoyt Park March 14
- Science Café series to be held at Milwaukee Public Library
- Local Residents Participate in THE NERD at Sunset Playhouse
- Hoopla at the Library
- Hear About One of Area’s Newest Museums
- BBB Warns Service Members of common scams during Military Saves Week
- Got a Thin Mint craving? Our Girl Scout cookie drive-thrus in Milwaukee and Menomonee Falls make it easy to stock up on all your favorites!
- The Oconomowoc Lake Club Appoints New Sous Chef
- Milwaukee/NARI Offers March 11 Panel Discussion on “Expect The Unexpected…Completing A Home Improvement Project”
- Prometheus Trio To Open Free Concert Series