Longfellow Middle School teachers Jennifer Engel and Cody Hedrick used an $850 Education Foundation of Wauwatosa (EFW) grant to help students in their social studies classes become better at identifying locations on a map through the use of geography games.
Part of the sixth grade curriculum is to cover the geography and culture of Latin America, Canada, Asia, Africa, and Europe, the goal in using geography games is to help students become familiar with places and capitals around the world more than they would without the extra enrichment activities. The Geography benchmarks that this grant reaches are to use a variety of geographic representations, such as political, physical, and topographic maps, a globe, aerial photographs, and satellite images to gather and compare information about a place. The specific learning target from these games is for students to identify countries and capitals around the world and then students will gain a strong understanding on where countries are and how they could interact with each other.
According to Engel, most of the students really enjoy playing the games. One student said, “can’t we play the geography bingo games today? I actually know where Nigeria is now!”
For more information on the EFW and the other 15 grants awarded for the 2012-2013 school year, visit our website at www.tosaefw.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- What statement will people REALLY be making on Denim Day, April 23?
- CYP Waukesha Hosts “Conservative Media Night” Networking Event
- Upcoming Sunset Playhouse Musical MainStage Concert features Elm Grove Resident
- Support the Arts at Spring Westside Artwalk
- MCW’s Advancing a Healthier Wisconsin Endowment awards $158,000 to combat sex trafficking among youth
- St. Francis All Abilities Playground Craft/Vendor Fair
- Brookfield Ameriprise Advisors Achieve Status as NABCAP Premier Advisors
- COMEDY, COMEDY, AND MO’ COMEDY!
- Learn about Compost on Earth Day at Brew City Gardens
- Free Drum Clinic with The Common Thread Clinic Tour, Tuesday, April 22