We are concerned about the planned development of a four-story apartment/retail complex at 1463 Underwood Ave. We believe that such a structure is inappropriate for that location and does not fit into a balanced approach to community development.
The Wauwatosa Village is made up of many unique buildings which embody its history and character. We have a responsibility to preserve that character in any additional development that is approved. The huge modern boxy structure planned at that site would dominate that entire location, and in addition, is simply very unattractive.
We also ask the planners to consider the increase in traffic and crowding that would be brought by such a large development at that already busy corner, and the precedent it would set for further development in the village. We hope input from the neighbors on Church St., in particular, will be taken seriously. Their quality of life and property values will be directly impacted with a four story wall abutting their property lines.
We urge the Community Development Authority and city officials to proceed cautiously and take time to seek other more moderate proposals for that site that would enhance the historical character of the village. It is an important site with much potential. Let’s do it right.
- Matthew McLachlan Wins 2016 National Spanish Exam Travel Award
- Chicago Mass Choir Headlines Gospel Showcase Set for July 29
- Director of the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institutes of Health to receive honorary degree, speak at commencement May 20; four community leaders to receive honorary degrees
- Zoom into Nano Opens Big at Discovery World
- MCW receives $6.8 million U.S. Army grant to research neck, spine and brain safety in the military
- BBB Names 2016 Business Ethics Winners
- Deep Sea Discovery VBS 2016
- Summer Reading is Starting Soon
- MCW researchers find “color-correcting glasses” don’t live up to the hype
- YMCA OF GREATER WAUKESHA COUNTY PARTNERS WITH ELMBROOK SCHOOL DISTRICT ON BEFORE AND AFTER SCHOOL PROGRAM