Clinical Trial for Rare Urea Disorders at Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin and Medical College of Wisconsin
The Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin Research Institute and the Medical College of Wisconsin are recruiting patients for a clinical trial investigating a novel treatment for urea cycle disorders (UCD) in children.
David Dimmock, M.D., clinical geneticist at Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin and assistant professor of pediatrics (genetics) at the Medical College, is the lead investigator for the study in Wisconsin and Michigan’s Upper Peninsula.
Urea cycle disorders are life-threatening disorders of the liver, often mistaken for infections in newborns and young children. Build-up of ammonia may lead to massive damage of the nerves and the brain; in some cases, it can be fatal. The definitive treatment is liver transplantation, which is a difficult procedure for very young patients. Additionally, there is a shortage of suitable organs available for transplantation.
Liver cell therapy is being evaluated to act as a therapeutic bridge, with the aim of normalizing ammonia and glutamine levels in the patient in order to avoid neurological damage. This therapy may also be an option for families not seeking a liver transplant.
Cytonet is recruiting patients at 11 United States institutions for the SELICA III trial. More information can be found at http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01195753.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Dr. Zhenghao Wu, MD, Joins Columbia St. Mary’s Columbia West
- Tech Trends workshops continue on September 10, ue to exceptional success
- Greater Brookfield Chamber of Commerce 58th Annual Meeting to be held on November 18, 2015
- ESPRIT POMS & DANCE TEAM Will Perform in DISNEY in 2016
- Wisconsin Residents Join LUNG FORCE Walk to End Lung Cancer
- New Dr. Nicole Knapp, D.C. blog post – Backpacks and School
- SMOKIN' ACES AND CIGARMKE PRESENT THE ROOF IS ON FIRE
- Wauwatosa Remodeler SJJanis Makes The Top 60 National Firms For Customer Satisfaction
- Jim Palzewicz brings EOS (Entrepreneurial Operating System) to Wisconsin
- Unity World Day of Prayer Observances