Clinical Trial for Rare Urea Disorders at Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin and Medical College of Wisconsin
The Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin Research Institute and the Medical College of Wisconsin are recruiting patients for a clinical trial investigating a novel treatment for urea cycle disorders (UCD) in children.
David Dimmock, M.D., clinical geneticist at Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin and assistant professor of pediatrics (genetics) at the Medical College, is the lead investigator for the study in Wisconsin and Michigan’s Upper Peninsula.
Urea cycle disorders are life-threatening disorders of the liver, often mistaken for infections in newborns and young children. Build-up of ammonia may lead to massive damage of the nerves and the brain; in some cases, it can be fatal. The definitive treatment is liver transplantation, which is a difficult procedure for very young patients. Additionally, there is a shortage of suitable organs available for transplantation.
Liver cell therapy is being evaluated to act as a therapeutic bridge, with the aim of normalizing ammonia and glutamine levels in the patient in order to avoid neurological damage. This therapy may also be an option for families not seeking a liver transplant.
Cytonet is recruiting patients at 11 United States institutions for the SELICA III trial. More information can be found at http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01195753.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Mount Mary University Offers Creative Connections Camp
- Wisconsin Cooks Invited to Kick-Start Culinary Dreams
- April Math Awareness Month
- Dr. Yvonne Chiu Receives Dermatology Foundation Career Development Award
- Finale Music Notation Software for Beginners
- Mount Mary University Senior Candice Block Honored at Wisconsin Institute for Peace and Conflict Conference
- Friends of Hart Park to Host River Clean Up
- Take Care of Your Mouth
- Attend a free Jeffrey Siegel Keyboard Conversation Family Concert
- Best-Selling, Oprah Book Club Author Christina Schwarz Coming to Mount Mary