Dr. Howard Jacob to Discuss Personalized Medicine at Inaugural Forbes Healthcare Summit
Howard J. Jacob, Ph.D., Warren P. Knowles Professor and Chair of Genetics and Director of the Human and Molecular Genetics Center at the Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW), will sit on a panel and present his vision of the future of personalized medicine at the inaugural Forbes Healthcare Summit on December 5 in New York City.
The summit, hosted by Forbes CEO and Editor-in-Chief Steve Forbes, brings together national healthcare leaders, innovators, educators, and entrepreneurs to discuss some of the biggest challenges in healthcare (rising costs and epidemics of diseases such as obesity and diabetes) and new innovations that will drive the future of health care.
Dr. Jacob’s team of researchers and clinicians at MCW and Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin was the first to successfully use whole exome (DNA) sequencing to save the life of a little boy. Dr. Jacob will open a panel discussion about the use of DNA sequencing to guide medical care for patients.
“Personalized medicine incorporates several new tools and methodologies for patient care,” said Dr. Jacob. “By sequencing DNA, we can learn what diseases you might be prone to developing and use that information for preventive care. Physicians can also use that information to prescribe the best medications to treat specific conditions. In rare genetic diseases, sequencing can sometimes identify the specific root of the disease and guide a treatment plan.”
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Winter Used Book Sale at Library
- Milwaukee/NARI’s Tips For Last-Minute Home Winterization
- Christmas Holly Fair
- Free Jumping at Sky Zone with Food Donation
- Researcher to investigate effective health information technology implementation
- Alverno College Awarded College Ready Grant from Great Lakes Higher Education Guaranty Corporation
- BBB Balances 2014 Trends with Tips for Smart Holiday Shoppers
- 125 Volunteers Needed at Special Olympics Wisconsin State Bowling and Volleyball Tourney
- Holiday Folk Fair International Offers Ticket Discounts to Support Salvation Army
- MCW researchers to investigate biological factors of post-traumatic stress disorder