Dr. Howard Jacob to Discuss Personalized Medicine at Inaugural Forbes Healthcare Summit
Howard J. Jacob, Ph.D., Warren P. Knowles Professor and Chair of Genetics and Director of the Human and Molecular Genetics Center at the Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW), will sit on a panel and present his vision of the future of personalized medicine at the inaugural Forbes Healthcare Summit on December 5 in New York City.
The summit, hosted by Forbes CEO and Editor-in-Chief Steve Forbes, brings together national healthcare leaders, innovators, educators, and entrepreneurs to discuss some of the biggest challenges in healthcare (rising costs and epidemics of diseases such as obesity and diabetes) and new innovations that will drive the future of health care.
Dr. Jacob’s team of researchers and clinicians at MCW and Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin was the first to successfully use whole exome (DNA) sequencing to save the life of a little boy. Dr. Jacob will open a panel discussion about the use of DNA sequencing to guide medical care for patients.
“Personalized medicine incorporates several new tools and methodologies for patient care,” said Dr. Jacob. “By sequencing DNA, we can learn what diseases you might be prone to developing and use that information for preventive care. Physicians can also use that information to prescribe the best medications to treat specific conditions. In rare genetic diseases, sequencing can sometimes identify the specific root of the disease and guide a treatment plan.”
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Public welcome to WAUMC's 'The Winter Rose' Christmas cantata
- Department of Defense to fund $5.5 million concussion study
- Advanced Ear, Nose, & Throat Specialists Named Small Business of the Year
- The Torah: A Workshop for Christians
- 10th Annual Tree of Angels celebrates loved ones
- Foti Chiropractic Fulfills Dream of Second Make-A-Wish Recipient in 2014
- Milwaukee Regional Medical Center's New VP of Finance
- IndependenceFirst Stride & Glide 5K and family-friendly fitness event
- Milwaukee/NARI Home Improvement Council Announces 2015 Officers and Directors
- Local Financial Advisor Hosts Dec. 16 Seminar on Investment Outlook for 2015