Emergency Medicine Specialist and Medical Toxicologist David Gummin joins Medical College of Wisconsin faculty, Froedtert Hospital and Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin staff
David D. Gummin, M.D., has been appointed professor of emergency medicine and section chief of medical toxicology at the Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW). He sees patients at Froedtert Hospital and Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin.
Board certified in emergency medicine and medical toxicology, Dr. Gummin’s clinical interests include the clinical diagnosis and management of poisoning, environmental toxicity, substance abuse and addiction, medication errors and adverse interactions, and occupational poisoning, as well as the myriad of medical, traumatic and surgical conditions seen in general emergency medicine practice.
After earning his M.D. from the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health in Madison in 1990, Dr. Gummin completed a surgical internship at Bethesda Naval Hospital in Bethesda, Md., and subsequent residency in emergency medicine at Cook County Hospital in Chicago. In between, he served as a diving and hyperbaric undersea medical officer in the United States Navy. While on active duty, he directed the Navy’s decompression research program in Bethesda, for which he was awarded the Navy Meritorious Service Medal. He earned his Bachelor of Science degree in chemistry from St. Norbert College in DePere in 1986.
Prior to joining the MCW faculty, Dr. Gummin was a partner in a private emergency medicine practice in Southeast Wisconsin. In 2000, he completed a fellowship in medical toxicology at the University of Illinois-Chicago and the Toxikon Consortium, a toxicology collaboration between Cook County Bureau of Health Services, the University of Illinois Hospital and Medical Center of Chicago, and the Illinois Poison Center. In 2005, Dr. Gummin was appointed medical director of the Wisconsin Poison Center at Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- St. Jude the Apostle Kindergartners Gift of Warmth Keeps Giving
- Virtual School Students Meet Classmates at Discovery World Field Trip
- Wauwatosa residents win grants through Northwestern Mutual Days of Sharing program
- Not a Good Idea to Bike?
- KNAPP CHIROPRACTIC AND WELLNESS CENTER, INC. PATIENTS GIVE OUTSTANDING TESTIMONIALS
- Milwaukee/NARI Recognizes Six Industry Advocates
- Dr. Melinda Stolley named MCW Cancer Center associate director
- WAUWATOSA DISTINGUISHED CITIZEN 2014: CALL FOR NOMINATIONS
- “Battle of the Bays” Getaway winner announced by BloodCenter of WI
- Celebrate the Christmas Season with Trinity United Church of Christ