Emergency Medicine Specialist and Medical Toxicologist David Gummin joins Medical College of Wisconsin faculty, Froedtert Hospital and Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin staff
David D. Gummin, M.D., has been appointed professor of emergency medicine and section chief of medical toxicology at the Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW). He sees patients at Froedtert Hospital and Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin.
Board certified in emergency medicine and medical toxicology, Dr. Gummin’s clinical interests include the clinical diagnosis and management of poisoning, environmental toxicity, substance abuse and addiction, medication errors and adverse interactions, and occupational poisoning, as well as the myriad of medical, traumatic and surgical conditions seen in general emergency medicine practice.
After earning his M.D. from the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health in Madison in 1990, Dr. Gummin completed a surgical internship at Bethesda Naval Hospital in Bethesda, Md., and subsequent residency in emergency medicine at Cook County Hospital in Chicago. In between, he served as a diving and hyperbaric undersea medical officer in the United States Navy. While on active duty, he directed the Navy’s decompression research program in Bethesda, for which he was awarded the Navy Meritorious Service Medal. He earned his Bachelor of Science degree in chemistry from St. Norbert College in DePere in 1986.
Prior to joining the MCW faculty, Dr. Gummin was a partner in a private emergency medicine practice in Southeast Wisconsin. In 2000, he completed a fellowship in medical toxicology at the University of Illinois-Chicago and the Toxikon Consortium, a toxicology collaboration between Cook County Bureau of Health Services, the University of Illinois Hospital and Medical Center of Chicago, and the Illinois Poison Center. In 2005, Dr. Gummin was appointed medical director of the Wisconsin Poison Center at Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Card Skimming: Can it Happen to You?
- BloodCenter of Wisconsin Announces 14th Annual Big League Blood Drive
- Callen Designer Suggests Modifications That Benefit People of All Ages
- Stan’s Fit For Your Feet Promotes Sajdak and Names Kim Marketing Coordinator
- On Course for a Cure: Golfers tee off for digestive disease research
- Milwaukee/NARI Foundation Announces 2015 Fall Semester Scholarship Recipients
- Free Homeowner
- Menomonee Falls Resident Elected to National Pharmacy Board, Receives National Honor
- Karpinski Elected to National Pharmacy Board, Receives National Honor
- MCW researcher wins Imagine More Award for neuroscience research