Need a great holiday gift idea? Consider giving families on your list a carbon monoxide (CO) detector. As of February 1, 2011, Wisconsin's new carbon monoxide (CO) law took effect. The law was put into place to help ensure safe homes with the presence of CO alarms. The law can only be effective if we all take the necessary steps to install detectors in our homes.
What you need to know:
* All single family and two-unit homes must install a CO alarm on every floor level, near sleeping areas.
* New construction must be hard-wired with a battery back up.
* Existing homes may install any type of CO alarms; battery, plug-in or combination smoke/CO devices.
* Alarms should be installed in accordance with manufacturer's directions.
* Alarms do not need to be installed in the attic, garage or storage areas of homes.
Remember to test alarms monthly, check and replace batteries twice each year and do not disconnect the alarm.
Consider giving your loved ones the gift of safety. Protecting your family from odorless, tasteless carbon monoxide can save lives. And, there is no greater gift than life. For more information on carbon monoxide detectors, please call the West Allis Health Department at 414-302-8600.
- Lippert Tile wins Starnet® Worldwide’s 2016 Flooring Contractor Sustainability Award
- Travel Leaders offers tips for Navagating Airport Security lines faster
- Summer Reading is Here
- Trinity UCC Outdoor Contemporary Worship and Picnic
- County Parks Offers Free Chess Camps
- Sky Zone Debuts Glow Zone Fridays
- Milwaukee Seniors Celebrate National Senior Fitness Day this Wednesday
- Civic Band Concert Line Up Announced
- Local Resident Participates in BOEING BOEING at Sunset Playhouse
- Stampede for Scouting at the Zoo