A new high school basketball tournament will give local student-athletes and their supporters much to be thankful for this Thanksgiving weekend. In addition to two days of exciting games, the first annual Hank Raymonds Holiday Classic, November 23 and 24 at Pius XI High School in Milwaukee, will provide area basketball boosters the opportunity to honor the tournament’s namesake by contributing to the Hank Raymonds Family Scholarship.
Funds raised by the eight-team tournament – featuring Boston Celtics head coach Glenn “Doc” Rivers and his Marquette University Warrior teammates as the presenting sponsors – will provide scholarships to students who otherwise would be unable to attend Pius XI. Scholarships are awarded to students based on financial need, their record of academic achievement, character and community service.
Raymonds was a longtime Wauwatosa resident and the fourth-winningest coach at Marquette, with 126 wins as the men’s head basketball coach from 1977 to 1983. Raymonds adeptly assisted Al McGuire during the team’s NCAA championship run in the 1970s. Raymonds also served as the university’s athletic director and was responsible for elevating the women’s sports programs to Division I in 1985.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Kathy's House Classic Golf Outing Planned
- Friends of Hart Park to Host Family Film Night
- Researchers to explore new treatments for pancreatic cancer
- Milwaukee’s Archbishop Conducts Mass at Harwood Place
- Milwaukee/NARI Offers Seven Tips for Spending Wisely on a Home Remodel - Part 2
- Milwaukee/NARI Offers Seven Tips for Spending Wisely on a Home Remodel - Part 1
- Boatshed Lake Michigan Sponsors SUPA athletes support boat to cross Lake Michigan
- Angelic Bakehouse Needs Your Vote!
- Milwaukee Choristers to Hold Auditions
- The impact of housing on HIV status