Wisconsin Breast Cancer Showhouse Provides $350,000 for Cancer Research at the Medical College of Wisconsin
Celebrating its 15th anniversary, the Wisconsin Breast Cancer Showhouse, Inc. (WBCS) presented a $350,000 check to the Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW) Cancer Center, during the organization’s annual Appreciation Evening at the Town Club in Fox Point. That brings the Showhouse’s total contributions to MCW to $4.75 million since 1998.
The WBCS is a volunteer organization that raises money for breast cancer and prostate cancer research at the MCW Cancer Center. The Showhouse’s central event, Showhouse for Cure, features a private home redecorated by local interior designers that is opened for donors and guests to tour. Other annual fundraisers include a survivors’ fashion show and luncheon, a preview party, a golf outing, and a winter gala. A 5K run /2K walk event was added in 2012.
“Thanks to the creativity, dedication and selfless generosity of its many volunteers and supporters, WBCS has been able to establish a valuable endowed professorship at the Medical College, and it continues to provide significant research funding,” said Ming You, M.D., Ph.D., MCW Cancer Center director and Joseph F. Heil professor in molecular oncogenesis (the formation and development of tumors). “Without a doubt, WBCS has helped strengthen and shape breast cancer and prostate cancer research in Southeast Wisconsin.”
“Generous sponsors, designers, volunteers, Showhouse owners, and the community have all contributed to the great success of these events,” said Kadie M. Jelenchick, WBCS chairperson. “Their energy and dedication continue to grow each year, along with their hope of defeating these devastating diseases.”
The MCW Cancer Center uses donations from the WBCS to fund competitive, innovative, independent breast and prostate cancer research projects. The WBCS Scientific Review Committee, in partnership with the MCW Cancer Center, will meet in 2013 to review and award the next round of competitive research grants.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- FREE Elmbrook Memorial "Walk With A Wheaton Doc" – Saturday, April 26, 2014
- Children's Audition Notice for Milwaukee Rep's 2014/15 production THE COLOR PURPLE
- Stuff the Truck for Independence
- Spring Concert "Stars" featuring Julia Simpson
- Cudahy Home to be on Milwaukee/NARI Tour of Remodeled Homes
- Three Wauwatosa Homes to be Part of Annual Milwaukee/NARI Tour of Remodeled Homes
- United for Libraries to present Public Service Award to Congressman Jim Sensenbrenner (R-Wis.)
- MCW to Host Diabetes Symposium
- What statement will people REALLY be making on Denim Day, April 23?
- CYP Waukesha Hosts “Conservative Media Night” Networking Event