McKinley Elementary Students Celebrate Walk to School Day with Kids from Around the World
October 3, 2012
McKinley Elementary School students participated in International Walk to School Day on October 3, 2012. Students in all 50 states and over 40 countries also participated in Walk to School day events. The event was a part of ongoing activities at the school to promote walking and biking throughout the school year. The McKinley Parent Teacher Association has had a Safe Routes to School committee in place for the last three years. They have organized walk and bike to school day events, a walking school bus program, crossing guard ambassador program and raised money for in road pedestrian signs and bike racks.
The students and their families were greeted on the playground Wednesday with apples and music from the Wauwatosa West Band. Mark Carter, McKinley principal, Alderman Jeff Roznowski, Mayor Kathy Ehley, Fire Chief Rob Ugaste encouraged the students and parents to continue walking and biking to school and thanked them for being role models for the city. Superintendent Phil Ertl and County Supervisor Jim “Luigi” Schmitt were also in attendance.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Free Financial Wellness Classes!
- Wauwatosa Night at the Milwaukee Bucks
- Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Milwaukee Kicks Off Click For Kids Online Toy Drive
- Wheaton Franciscan – Midwest Spine and Orthopedic Hospital and Wisconsin Heart Hospital Campus Emergency Department Receives 2014 Press Ganey Guardian of Excellence Award for Achieving 95th Percentile in Patient Experience
- Winter Used Book Sale at Library
- Milwaukee/NARI’s Tips For Last-Minute Home Winterization
- Christmas Holly Fair
- Free Jumping at Sky Zone with Food Donation
- Researcher to investigate effective health information technology implementation
- Alverno College Awarded College Ready Grant from Great Lakes Higher Education Guaranty Corporation