Event Benefits Community Outreach and Education Programs
for Parkinson’s Disease
The fourth annual Moving Forward: Ride/Walk for Parkinson’s Disease will be held Sunday, October 7, in Dousman, Wis. Proceeds from this annual fundraiser benefit Parkinson’s patient and family education and support, community exercise programs and research through the Parkinson’s and Movement Disorder Program at Froedtert and The Medical College of Wisconsin.
Registration includes the ride or walk, lunch, kids’ fun area, a silent auction, a raffle and Moving Forward T-shirt. Bicyclists choose a 30-mile ride or a 10-mile ride. Walkers choose among three walks ranging from one mile to a 5K.
An estimated 1.5 million people in the United States are living with Parkinson’s disease. The Parkinson’s and Movement Disorders program at Froedtert & the Medical College is dedicated to improving the quality of life for people who face the challenges of Parkinson’s. The program offers comprehensive care and a team-based approach that includes movement disorder neurologists, physical, occupational and speech therapists, a neuropsychologist and other specialists dedicated to patient care.
“I feel so inspired when I see Parkinson’s patients getting great exercise and having fun with their families and friends at the Moving Forward: Ride/Walk for Parkinson’s Disease,” Maureen Gile said.
Gile, a member of the organizing committee for the event, was diagnosed with Parkinson’s six years ago at age 36. She credits exercise for helping her balance the challenges of the disease with caring for her family and managing her job.
Moving Forward is held at Cory Park, 140 S. Main St., Dousman, Wis. 53118, located south of I-94 and Delafield Rd. in the Kettle Moraine State Forest. Registration for cyclists is $45, for individual walkers $20 and families $40. To register, visit http://www.active.com/cycling/dousman-wi/moving-forward-ride-walk-for-parkinsons-2012
Maps, volunteer, team and sponsor information, start times and an opportunity to donate are also on the site. You may also call Vicki Conte, Community Outreach Coordinator, Department of Neurology, at 414-805-8326.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- What statement will people REALLY be making on Denim Day, April 23?
- CYP Waukesha Hosts “Conservative Media Night” Networking Event
- Upcoming Sunset Playhouse Musical MainStage Concert features Elm Grove Resident
- Support the Arts at Spring Westside Artwalk
- MCW’s Advancing a Healthier Wisconsin Endowment awards $158,000 to combat sex trafficking among youth
- St. Francis All Abilities Playground Craft/Vendor Fair
- Brookfield Ameriprise Advisors Achieve Status as NABCAP Premier Advisors
- COMEDY, COMEDY, AND MO’ COMEDY!
- Learn about Compost on Earth Day at Brew City Gardens
- Free Drum Clinic with The Common Thread Clinic Tour, Tuesday, April 22