“An Assembler,” an exhibit featuring large-scale assemblages created by Gary John Gresl, will be on display Sunday, September 16, 2012 through Saturday, October 27, 2012 in Mount Mary College’s Marian Art Gallery. An artist’s opening reception will take place Sunday, September 16, 2012 from 2:00 – 4:00 p.m. The event is free and open to the public.
Gresl has been creating assemblages for over 40 years. With childhood interests in coin and rock collecting, farm and other rural life experiences, and a later interest in antiques and collectables, his work aesthetically connects items that include old coins, shells, antlers, arrows, taxidermy items, animal skulls, and antique store curiosities. “Objects which appear alone and suggest and emote when standing individually, are perceived differently or made to evolve and broaden in a new context,” Gresl states.
A recipient of numerous awards throughout his career, Gresl received the Wisconsin Visual Art Lifetime Achievement Award from the Museum of Wisconsin Art, Wisconsin Visual Artists, Inc., and the Wisconsin Academy of Sciences, Arts and Letters in 2009. He also received the Arts and Industry Residency Kohler Foundation Award in 2009. Gresl is a frequent lecturer and presenter at area colleges and arts groups.
Marian Gallery is located on the first floor of Caroline Hall at 2900 N. Menomonee River Parkway and is open Monday – Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. and 1:00 to 4:00 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.
For more information on the exhibit, visit http://www.mtmary.edu/marian.htm. For more information on Gary John Gresl, visit http://gresl.com.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Free Financial Wellness Classes!
- Wauwatosa Night at the Milwaukee Bucks
- Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Milwaukee Kicks Off Click For Kids Online Toy Drive
- Wheaton Franciscan – Midwest Spine and Orthopedic Hospital and Wisconsin Heart Hospital Campus Emergency Department Receives 2014 Press Ganey Guardian of Excellence Award for Achieving 95th Percentile in Patient Experience
- Winter Used Book Sale at Library
- Milwaukee/NARI’s Tips For Last-Minute Home Winterization
- Christmas Holly Fair
- Free Jumping at Sky Zone with Food Donation
- Researcher to investigate effective health information technology implementation
- Alverno College Awarded College Ready Grant from Great Lakes Higher Education Guaranty Corporation