The Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW) received a one-year, $8,000 award from the National Institutes of Health’s National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases to help fund the 19th annual Midwest Microbial Pathogenesis Conference (MMPC), which will be held from September 7-September 9, 2012, at MCW in Milwaukee.
Thomas Zahrt, Ph.D., associate professor of microbiology and molecular genetics, and Christopher Kristich, Ph.D., assistant professor of microbiology and molecular genetics, are supervising the organization of this event.
The regional conference provides an important opportunity for between 200 and 300 graduate students, postdoctoral fellows, junior faculty and established investigators to discuss recent advances in the field of microbial pathogenesis, including the identification, validation, and characterization of new therapeutic targets or strategies for combating human infectious diseases. This scientific forum is especially relevant for junior faculty who make up at least 50 percent of presenters, as these investigators are often discussing their research with peers for the first time since establishing new laboratories.
MMPC is a venue that helps promote collaboration and networking among faculty, especially underrepresented minorities in science who are encouraged to attend and participate. This grant will help continue a valuable meeting by providing support that will ultimately enhance knowledge of diseases that are caused by microbial pathogens of humans.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- All animal lovers welcome to WAUMC's blessing of the pets
- Drug discovery and genetic engineering: Science Café series scheduled
- Learn Your Working Style, Rule Your Universe
- Learning Never Ends...An Evening for Adults
- Researchers discover new gene responsible for traits involved in diabetes
- Locally Owned MOZZALUNA PIZZERIA & RISTORANTE is doing a Free Pizza Give Away on 9/25/14
- Treating post-traumatic stress disorder
- Operation Forward March to Benefit Wounded Warrior Project
- Callen Debuts Updated Website
- Nain Lutheran Church Celebrates 100th Anniversary