The Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW) received a one-year, $8,000 award from the National Institutes of Health’s National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases to help fund the 19th annual Midwest Microbial Pathogenesis Conference (MMPC), which will be held from September 7-September 9, 2012, at MCW in Milwaukee.
Thomas Zahrt, Ph.D., associate professor of microbiology and molecular genetics, and Christopher Kristich, Ph.D., assistant professor of microbiology and molecular genetics, are supervising the organization of this event.
The regional conference provides an important opportunity for between 200 and 300 graduate students, postdoctoral fellows, junior faculty and established investigators to discuss recent advances in the field of microbial pathogenesis, including the identification, validation, and characterization of new therapeutic targets or strategies for combating human infectious diseases. This scientific forum is especially relevant for junior faculty who make up at least 50 percent of presenters, as these investigators are often discussing their research with peers for the first time since establishing new laboratories.
MMPC is a venue that helps promote collaboration and networking among faculty, especially underrepresented minorities in science who are encouraged to attend and participate. This grant will help continue a valuable meeting by providing support that will ultimately enhance knowledge of diseases that are caused by microbial pathogens of humans.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Blarney Run/Walk returns to Hoyt Park March 14
- Science Café series to be held at Milwaukee Public Library
- Local Residents Participate in THE NERD at Sunset Playhouse
- Hoopla at the Library
- Hear About One of Area’s Newest Museums
- BBB Warns Service Members of common scams during Military Saves Week
- Got a Thin Mint craving? Our Girl Scout cookie drive-thrus in Milwaukee and Menomonee Falls make it easy to stock up on all your favorites!
- The Oconomowoc Lake Club Appoints New Sous Chef
- Milwaukee/NARI Offers March 11 Panel Discussion on “Expect The Unexpected…Completing A Home Improvement Project”
- Prometheus Trio To Open Free Concert Series