Medical College of Wisconsin researchers seek to improve tests for predicting heart disease
The Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW) received a four-year, $2.5 million award from the National Institutes of Health’s National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute to develop a more precise clinical test for predicting a patient’s risk of developing heart disease.
Kirkwood A. Pritchard, Ph.D., professor of surgery, pharmacology and toxicology and director of translational vascular biology program at MCW and a member of the Children’s Hospital Research Institute, is the principal investigator for the grant. Dr. Pritchard’s co-principal investigator is Mary G. Sorci-Thomas, Ph.D., professor of pathology and lipid sciences at Wake Forest University School of Medicine in Winston-Salem, N.C.
Heart disease is the leading cause of death in Wisconsin, resulting in more than 16,000 deaths annually-- approximately one-third of all deaths in the state. The prevalence of this disease may increase as rates of obesity and hypertension are predicted to rise in Wisconsin.
This research seeks to aid physicians in predicting and preventing heart disease. Recent studies have shown the importance of measuring the function of high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol, known as “good” cholesterol. Measuring HDL function is more accurate than traditional tests, which measure HDL levels, at predicting which patients will develop heart disease. Current tests for the function of HDL cholesterol are complex and too cumbersome to be useful in a clinical setting.
Dr. Pritchard and Dr. Sorci-Thomas will work to develop novel tests for HDL functionality that are simpler and less time-consuming for practitioners in a clinical setting. Their work may lead to a better diagnostic tool for predicting a person’s risk of heart disease, which would meet a great need in helping prevent and effectively treat heart disease.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Free Financial Wellness Classes!
- Wauwatosa Night at the Milwaukee Bucks
- Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Milwaukee Kicks Off Click For Kids Online Toy Drive
- Wheaton Franciscan – Midwest Spine and Orthopedic Hospital and Wisconsin Heart Hospital Campus Emergency Department Receives 2014 Press Ganey Guardian of Excellence Award for Achieving 95th Percentile in Patient Experience
- Winter Used Book Sale at Library
- Milwaukee/NARI’s Tips For Last-Minute Home Winterization
- Christmas Holly Fair
- Free Jumping at Sky Zone with Food Donation
- Researcher to investigate effective health information technology implementation
- Alverno College Awarded College Ready Grant from Great Lakes Higher Education Guaranty Corporation