“The Man with the Bionic Brain”: Physician-Author to Speak at the Medical College of Wisconsin
A former high school football star’s paralyzing injury, and the new technology that allowed him to re-establish communication with the world, is the focus of a new book and an upcoming presentation at the Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW) sponsored by the MCW Medical Humanities Program.
Dr. Jon Mukand, who received his medical degree from MCW in 1985, is the author of The Man with the Bionic Brain and Other Victories over Paralysis. In the book, Dr. Mukand shares the story of Matthew Nagle, who made medical history when a system was implanted that allowed the paralyzed man to use his brain to control a computer cursor. Dr. Mukand, Nagle’s research physician and a rehabilitation specialist, weaves Nagle’s story with other firsthand accounts of stroke, spinal injury, and brain trauma survivors.
Dr. Mukand will read from his new book at a special presentation on August 22, 2012, at 12:00 P.M. The event will be held in the MCW Alumni Center at 8701 W. Watertown Plank Road in Wauwatosa, Wis., and is free and open to the public. Dr. Mukand will also sign books available for purchase at the event.
The MCW Medical Humanities Program, part of the Center for Bioethics and Medical Humanities in the Institute for Health and Society, is dedicated to professionalism, communication, empathy and reflection, through education in the medical humanities, including literature, medical history, the visual and performing arts and the social sciences.
For more information, contact Diane Kramer at firstname.lastname@example.org or (414) 955-8498.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- How light therapy heals wounds
- Holiday Happenings on Vliet Street!!
- Holiday Folk Fair Producer to Help Fight Ebola
- CIGARMKE - KNOW YOUR LEAF - PART 1
- CIGARMKE LET'S GET LIT - FALL 2014 ON NOV. 8TH
- Local Businesses in Three Communities Band Together to Fight Hunger, Support New Berlin Food Pantry
- Our TreASures … Our Heart
- Cardiovascular and cancer researcher elected Fellow of the American Heart Association
- Mini Book Sale December 8th
- Parenting: Love and Logic