“The Man with the Bionic Brain”: Physician-Author to Speak at the Medical College of Wisconsin
A former high school football star’s paralyzing injury, and the new technology that allowed him to re-establish communication with the world, is the focus of a new book and an upcoming presentation at the Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW) sponsored by the MCW Medical Humanities Program.
Dr. Jon Mukand, who received his medical degree from MCW in 1985, is the author of The Man with the Bionic Brain and Other Victories over Paralysis. In the book, Dr. Mukand shares the story of Matthew Nagle, who made medical history when a system was implanted that allowed the paralyzed man to use his brain to control a computer cursor. Dr. Mukand, Nagle’s research physician and a rehabilitation specialist, weaves Nagle’s story with other firsthand accounts of stroke, spinal injury, and brain trauma survivors.
Dr. Mukand will read from his new book at a special presentation on August 22, 2012, at 12:00 P.M. The event will be held in the MCW Alumni Center at 8701 W. Watertown Plank Road in Wauwatosa, Wis., and is free and open to the public. Dr. Mukand will also sign books available for purchase at the event.
The MCW Medical Humanities Program, part of the Center for Bioethics and Medical Humanities in the Institute for Health and Society, is dedicated to professionalism, communication, empathy and reflection, through education in the medical humanities, including literature, medical history, the visual and performing arts and the social sciences.
For more information, contact Diane Kramer at email@example.com or (414) 955-8498.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wisconsin Residents Join LUNG FORCE Walk to End Lung Cancer
- New Dr. Nicole Knapp, D.C. blog post – Backpacks and School
- SMOKIN' ACES AND CIGARMKE PRESENT THE ROOF IS ON FIRE
- Wauwatosa Remodeler SJJanis Makes The Top 60 National Firms For Customer Satisfaction
- Jim Palzewicz brings EOS (Entrepreneurial Operating System) to Wisconsin
- Unity World Day of Prayer Observances
- Milwaukee/NARI Foundation Announces Academic Scholarship Availability
- Howard Village Hosts Fall Open House
- Hart Park Square celebrates 10th Anniversary
- Milwaukee Backgammon Meetup