The Medical College of Wisconsin received a four-year, $1.1 million grant from the National Institutes of Health’s National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke to study the use of genetically modified adult stem cells to treat neuropathic pain.
Quinn H. Hogan, M.D., professor of anesthesiology and director of pain research, is the principal investigator for the grant. He will collaborate with Hongwei Yu, M.D., M.S., assistant professor of anesthesiology.
Neuropathic pain is a common type of chronic pain often following nerve injury, affecting an estimated two to three percent of the population. The pain is often resistant to the effects of simple painkillers, limiting treatment options.
Using a rat model, Dr. Hogan’s study will test a novel treatment for neuropathic pain that involves genetically modifying adult stem cells derived from the animal’s own bone marrow or fat. These stem cells will be designed to produce painkilling chemicals, and will be implanted at very specific sections of damaged nerve tissue.
Dr. Hogan’s work may lead to the development of a safe, effective and flexible treatment for patients with chronic pain in which their own cells are modified to produce analgesic substances.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- IndependenceFirst Stride & Glide 5K and family-friendly fitness event
- Callen Receives 2015 Pulse of the City Customer Service Award
- MCW to host renowned nutrition expert at heart health conference
- Greater Brookfield Chamber of Commerce presents Bluemound Road Building Boom – From Barker to Moorland
- Time to Brush Up
- Independent Business Association of Wisconsin (IBAW) to host Preparing Future Generations for Career Readiness
- Metallurgical Associates Announces New/Old Ownership
- Black Lives Matter: Racial Disparity and the Criminal Justice System
- Milwaukee NARI Foundation Announces 2016 Spring Semester Scholarship Recipients
- Wauwatosa West Dance Team wins Regionals