The Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW) received a five-year, $2.9 million dollar grant from the National Institutes of Health’s National Eye Institute to support MCW’s research programs at the Froedtert & The Medical College Eye Institute. The CORE Grant for Vision Research has been continuously funded for 35 years.
Janice M. Burke, Ph.D., the Marjorie and Joseph Heil Professor of Ophthalmology, is the principal investigator of the grant.
The research supported by the grant contributes to new knowledge about the development and function of tissues of the eye and for the prevention and treatment of eye disorders, including common eye diseases such as macular degeneration.
The grant supports four shared-use resource modules to assist faculty scientists located at the Eye Institute and elsewhere on campus with their studies of the eye and visual systems of the brain. Dr. Burke is the director of the Cell Culture Module, which grows cultured cells and cell lines for distribution to investigators both within and outside of MCW. Dr. Brian Link, professor of cell biology, neurobiology and anatomy, directs the Core Morphology & Microscopic Imaging Module. Drs. William J. O’Brien, professor of ophthalmology, and Sally Twining, professor of biochemistry, run the Biochemistry-Molecular Biology Module. Dr. Joseph Carroll, associate professor of ophthalmology, oversees the Core Engineering & Translational Imaging Module, which provides engineering support to develop novel imaging technologies to study animal and human eyes.
Scientists in a variety of other departments at MCW, including the departments of anesthesiology, biochemistry, biophysics, pediatrics, radiology, and cell biology, neurobiology & anatomy, also utilize the Core Modules for their studies of the eye and visual system.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Public welcome to WAUMC's 'The Winter Rose' Christmas cantata
- Department of Defense to fund $5.5 million concussion study
- Advanced Ear, Nose, & Throat Specialists Named Small Business of the Year
- The Torah: A Workshop for Christians
- 10th Annual Tree of Angels celebrates loved ones
- Foti Chiropractic Fulfills Dream of Second Make-A-Wish Recipient in 2014
- Milwaukee Regional Medical Center's New VP of Finance
- IndependenceFirst Stride & Glide 5K and family-friendly fitness event
- Milwaukee/NARI Home Improvement Council Announces 2015 Officers and Directors
- Local Financial Advisor Hosts Dec. 16 Seminar on Investment Outlook for 2015