The Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW) received a five-year, $2.9 million dollar grant from the National Institutes of Health’s National Eye Institute to support MCW’s research programs at the Froedtert & The Medical College Eye Institute. The CORE Grant for Vision Research has been continuously funded for 35 years.
Janice M. Burke, Ph.D., the Marjorie and Joseph Heil Professor of Ophthalmology, is the principal investigator of the grant.
The research supported by the grant contributes to new knowledge about the development and function of tissues of the eye and for the prevention and treatment of eye disorders, including common eye diseases such as macular degeneration.
The grant supports four shared-use resource modules to assist faculty scientists located at the Eye Institute and elsewhere on campus with their studies of the eye and visual systems of the brain. Dr. Burke is the director of the Cell Culture Module, which grows cultured cells and cell lines for distribution to investigators both within and outside of MCW. Dr. Brian Link, professor of cell biology, neurobiology and anatomy, directs the Core Morphology & Microscopic Imaging Module. Drs. William J. O’Brien, professor of ophthalmology, and Sally Twining, professor of biochemistry, run the Biochemistry-Molecular Biology Module. Dr. Joseph Carroll, associate professor of ophthalmology, oversees the Core Engineering & Translational Imaging Module, which provides engineering support to develop novel imaging technologies to study animal and human eyes.
Scientists in a variety of other departments at MCW, including the departments of anesthesiology, biochemistry, biophysics, pediatrics, radiology, and cell biology, neurobiology & anatomy, also utilize the Core Modules for their studies of the eye and visual system.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Froedtert & MCW Ranks Among Top 10 US Academic Medical Centers
- Corporate Chair Massage Program - It's Essential!
- Halloween Safety Tips
- Dr. Kiran K. Turaga named Sharon K. Wadina Endowed Professor in Sarcoma Research
- Milwaukee Backgammon Club: October schedule
- Happy 10th Anniversary Hart Park Square!
- MCW announces Critical Care Pediatric Nurse Practitioner Fellowship Program
- MCW’s Advancing a Healthier Wisconsin Endowment awards $250,000 to assess health impact of Eau Claire community planning
- Seniors can learn tips for downsizing in free presentation Oct. 6
- MCW awarded $2.7 million grant to advance the understanding and measurement of outcomes in children with chronic disease