The Milwaukee Summer Philharmonia is joined by soprano Ruth Brown in performing a free concert on Tuesday, July 31st at 7:30 pm, in the Crossroads Presbyterian Church, 6031 West Chapel Hill Road, Mequon. The program includes the Introduction to Act III of Wagner’s opera Die Meistersinger, the beloved Four Last Songs of Richard Strauss, and Bruckner’s mighty Symphony No. 9. The public is invited, and no tickets are required. Ralph Lane conducts. Doors open at 7:15.
Waukesha native Ruth Brown has performed a variety of roles with opera companies in America and abroad, including the Middle Germany Chamber Opera (Germany), the Chemnitz Theater (Germany), the Miskolc International Opera Festival (Hungary) and the Manteo Music Festival (North Carolina). Her versatility puts her at ease in repertoire extending from cantatas of Bach to operettas of Gilbert & Sullivan. She holds a music degree from the University of North Carolina School of the Arts and a diploma (master’s degree) from the revered Leipzig Conservatory for Music & Theater.
THE THREE CONCERTS OF THE MILWAUKEE SUMMER PHILHARMONIA’S SERIES IN 2012:
The Milwaukee Summer Philharmonia is approaching the midpoint of its 2012 series of three concerts held on Tuesday evenings in the Crossroads Presbyterian Church. After the all-Beethoven concert of June 26th, the orchestra now plans an entirely different repertoire for July 31st, with music of Richard Wagner, Richard Strauss and the late Romantic Austrian symphonist Anton Bruckner, Symphony No. 9. Yet another repertoire will be presented on August 14th in an all-Mozart program: Symphonies Nos. 29 and 35 and the most famous of his piano concertos, the D Minor concerto often called “Number 20”, with the orchestra’s good friend Steven Ayers as soloist. Mr. Ayers’ artistry is well-known to Mequon audiences from his performances with the Milwaukee Summer Philharmonia at the Crossroads Presbyterian Church in 2010 and 2011.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Summer School Program Comes Home to the Milwaukee Irish Fest Center
- Greater Brookfield Chamber of Commerce presents “Violence in the Workplace” workshop
- Ten Wisconsin High School Seniors Win BBB Foundation’s “Student of Integrity” Scholarship
- Early Registration for Walk, Run, Wag for MADACC Ends May 1
- Milwaukee/NARI Remodeling Professionals Recognized on National Level
- MCW researcher to investigate diabetic heart susceptibility to cardiac sensitivity
- Go Green, Gold and Pink for Breast Cancer Awareness
- Milwaukee/NARI Says April Showers Don’t Have to Bring Foundation Leaks
- Parade Applications Now Available
- Greater Brookfield Chamber of Commerce presents former Navy SEAL, Jeff Boss, leadership coach specializing in adaptability