The Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW) has received a $2.3 million, four-year grant from the National Institutes of Health’s National Institute on Drug Abuse to implement and evaluate evidence-based HIV prevention strategies in Ukraine.
Jill T. Owczarzak, Ph.D., assistant professor of psychiatry and behavioral health, and an investigator in the Center for AIDS Intervention Research at MCW, is the primary investigator of the grant.
Ukraine has one of the most severe HIV epidemics in Eastern Europe, with an estimated 1.6 percent of the adult population living with the virus. The prevalence among injection drug users in certain regions is 33 percent. Current HIV prevention strategies among those drug users fail to address sexual HIV risk, and evidence-based prevention strategies have not been widely implemented.
In this project, Dr. Owczarzak’s team will seek to understand how to best promote the use of evidence-based HIV prevention strategies by non-governmental agencies working with HIV-positive, and high-risk populations in Ukraine.
Ultimately, Dr. Owczarzak hopes to identify ways to better educate providers in the newest, most successful evidence-based HIV prevention strategies. This will enhance providers’ capacity to more effectively meet the needs of at-risk populations.
The Center for AIDS Intervention Research at MCW is one of five HIV prevention research centers in the United States funded by the National Institute of Mental Health. CAIR’s missions are the development of improved ways to prevent HIV infection, the development of new approaches to improve the health of persons affected by HIV/AIDS, and disseminating its research findings to service providers in the United States and throughout the world so they directly benefit from CAIR’s work.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa ESPRIT POMS (Seniors) and ESPRIT POMS (Juniors) Earn First Place and Second Places Honors at Badger State Pom Competition in Madison, WI
- FREE Parent/Child YOGA at Authentic Birth Center • Wellness Collective
- Science Students Learn with Depth and Complexity
- St. Matthew's Lutheran Church to Present Christmas Concert
- Milwaukee/NARI Members Explain How Technology in Faucets and Showerheads Expand Consumer Options
- Encourage your kids to become involved in extracurriculars
- Edward Zapencki Continued to Collect Money From Businesses for Fun Maps He Didn’t Deliver
- WAUMC children, youth to share 'The Case of the Reluctant Innkeeper'
- Wauwatosa Distinguished Citizen 2013 – Nominations Being Accepted
- Dean Antczak Joins LifeWise Ingredients