The second annual Summer Nights music series is about to get under way at senior living community Luther Manor.
The first act to be featured in the free three-show series is Padre and the Prodigals, a quartet of Luther Manor employees formed just to play this event.
Fronting the group is Luther Manor’s Director of Pastoral Care Dave Patterson, the Padre, whose previous performance experience includes mostly church functions. Patterson was first approached about the idea of creating an employee-band after he and another employee, security officer Ron Harris, collaborated for a Martin Luther King Jr. Day service. Patterson sang and played rhythm guitar and Harris, a percussionist, played the African djembe drum. Patterson has been playing for 40-plus years and Harris about 20.
“A staff member heard Ron and I singing and asked if we would play for Summer Nights,” he said.
He took the idea a step further, extending the invitation to two other Luther Manor employees – Marc Powers and Mark Mrozek, who work in the Health Care Center and assisted living areas, respectively. Powers, who plays rhythm guitar, and Mrozek, a pianist, are also lifelong performers.
“I know they are very talented musicians so I had to ask them to join the band, too,” Patterson said.
Patterson described the group’s sound as “more easy listening,” but nevertheless eclectic.
“We each choose a couple of songs of our own and all join in together for others,” he said. “It’s going to be a mix of different styles of music: from classic jazz to blues, and a little bit of country.”
Harris, who also performs with the Stevie Wonder tribute band “As I Wish” and the funk band, Nutha Level, called the set list a “smorgasbord of music.”
“It should be a nice night to enjoy some music and some fellowship,” Patterson said. “You may even find yourself tapping your toes and singing along.”
The event begins at 5:30 p.m. with musical entertainment from 6 to 8 p.m. in the Terrace parking lot. Some seating will be available, but feel free to bring a favorite lawn chair. There is no need to RSVP. For more information on this or other upcoming events at Luther Manor, please contact Client Relations at (414) 464-3880 or email@example.com.
An accredited senior living community, Luther Manor has been caring and advocating for seniors for more than 50 years. In addition to apartment homes, assisted living and long-term care options, Luther Manor offers rehabilitation, adult day and supportive services, hospice care and community outreach programs. For more information, call (414) 464-3880 or visit www.luthermanor.org.
PHOTO: Clockwise from bottom left are Padre and the Prodigals: Mark Mrozek, Rev. Dave Patterson, Marc Powers and Ron Harris.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- HGTV’s House Hunters Returns to Southeastern Wisconsin to Feature Flat Rate Home Services’ Employee
- International Expert Dr. Michele Borba to Speak at Alverno College Character Education Conference
- Stars and Stripes Honor Flight-The Final Thank You
- Meijer Announces Opening Dates for First Wisconsin Supercenters
- Comprehensive Eye Exams Can Help Re-engage Patients Into Care for Certain Chronic Conditions, With the Potential to Help Improve Health and Reduce Costs
- Tosa East Junior Achieves Eagle Scout Award
- G.A.P.C. Hosts Annual Strawberry Fest June 14th
- Milwaukee to Host 2015 USA Ultimate Division 1 College Championships, May 22-25 at Uihlein Park
- BBB WGA Offers Tips to Avoid Donor Deception
- Village of Pleasant Prairie Park & Ride Lot Named “Project of the Year” by the American Public Works Association