Brennan Decker, a third-year medical student at the Medical College of Wisconsin, has been accepted into the National Institutes of Health-Oxford-Cambridge M.D./Ph.D. Scholars Program. The prestigious program pairs students with advisors both in the United Kingdom and at the National Institutes of Health (NIH), who guide their training as physician-scientists.
Decker has spent the last year at the NIH’s National Human Genome Research Institute as a Howard Hughes Medical Institute – National Institutes of Health Research Scholar. That award allowed Decker to defer a year of medical school to pursue scientific research under a dedicated NIH mentor.
Decker’s interest in genomics was sparked during his time at the Medical College’s Human and Molecular Genetics Center, under the mentorship of Howard Jacob, Ph.D., Warren P. Knowles chair in genetics, professor of physiology and director of the Human and Molecular Genetics Center.
“I am optimistic that genomics has the potential to alter paradigms of disease prevention, detection and treatment. The OxCam Scholars Program perfectly fits my academic objectives because it unites unparalleled scientific resources with productive international partnerships and goal-oriented laboratory research,” Decker said.
Decker is a Wisconsin native. He attended St. Olaf College in Northfield, Minn., on a National Merit Scholarship. He is also a Fulbright Scholar.
Decker is the recipient of a V. Duane Rath Merit Scholarship at the Medical College of Wisconsin, and plans a translational career with the aim of applying genomics to clinical medicine.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- MCW researchers to study treatment reporting tools for breast cancer care
- Thanksgiving Day Worship Service
- Wordsworth Trust Curator to Speak at Wisconsin Lutheran College
- Hart Park Fall Clean-up & Weed-out
- MCW enters new era of medical education
- Milwaukee/NARI Suggests Ways to Ensure a Positive Remodeling Experience in 6 Steps
- Medical physicist named 2014 Educator of the Year
- Does breast milk affect necrotizing enterocolitis?
- Holiday Folk Fair International Offers Advance Ticket Purchase Opportunities
- Milwaukee/NARI Offers November 5 Panel Discussion on Refreshing Mudroom and Laundry Room